Options

Breakaway Cable

Found my breakaway cable on T@B 320 on ground in outdoor storage.  Just took it home to wash and wax before maiden voyage in August.
Where does the cable get attached to on hitch.  I know it gets clipped to where chain goes but am a missing something?  Where does the other end go to?

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Somewhere, usually screwed to the A-frame, there is a small box.  That box is actually just a switch that is activated when the "clip" is removed.  That allows battery power to flow to the electric brakes, activating them.  The plastic clip will fit into a slot on the front of the box.  It will likely be rather hard to push it in but you want to make sure the clip on the cable seats firmly into the box.  While you are under there make sure the box is firmly screwed into the frame.
  • Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
     Hi,newcamper320 IMHO the breakaway cable SHOULD NOT be attached to any part of the hitch.The breakaway cable is the LAST RESORT to keep your trailer from a runaway if the HITCH SHOULD FAIL.I replaced mine with a red 6 ft coiled one.(fastway brand found on Amazon.I use a carabiner to fasten on my truck frame and the other end to the part that you push into the switch 

on the passenger side A-Frame Be safe out there and enjoy.
    Ed☮️

21 400 solo
    16 Tacoma sport 4x4
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    And, just to be sure: the cable itself is still attached to the break away control box on the tongue?  If you are holding a cable with the pin detached from that box, it has been drawing 6 amps from your battery.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    If you towed the trailer with the emergency brake cable pulled out, check your trailer brakes, to be sure they are adjusted correctly.  You should have a hard time towing the trailer with the brakes engaged.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    newcamper320newcamper320 Member Posts: 9
    The ESCO switch has a different replacement clip that I cannot find.  The CURT one that came from Amazon does not fit.  I have look all over the internet for an ESCO replacement clip
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    If you have lost the pin, be sure that you purchase a replacement that is specific to your breakaway switch. According to Etrailer a Bargman pin could work. 
    But first, have you checked to see if the pin is in the switch? If it is, remove it and reattach it to your cable.
    If it is not and you are sure you have an ESCO switch, buy a new ESCO switch. It comes with a pin and cable. It costs under $15.00 and you can be 100% certain that it is the correct pin. Just keep the switch as a spare.