Options

2019 TAB 320 Stabilizer bolts

BjgoveBjgove Member Posts: 2
edited July 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hello All! I accidentally damaged one of the BAL stabilizers. I’ve ordered a new one (same model/brand) but am having a hard time removing the old one. It appears that the factory didn’t install them as per the BAL instruction manual, i.e self-threaded bolts. The bolts are installed in the opposite direction and the nuts/washer is accessible…. Onto my issue…. I have successfully removed 1 nut/washer but on the other 2 the bolt turns with the nut. It doesn’t look very accessible from the inside flooring of the trailer so I am wondering how the bolts are installed. From the inside of the trailer, through the floor? Or tack wielded to the frame mounting plate? I am pretty capable in the repair department and don’t really want to bring it to the service center. Thanks in advance, Brian

Comments

• Options
    BjgoveBjgove Member Posts: 2
    Additional info: I didn’t over torque the nut trying to removed and break the shaft from the head, if that what anyone was thinking.
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    I had the same issue, this is one of the less brilliant things with the way T@bs are assembled. I believe (no visual confirmation) that these are carriage bolts put in before the top floor layer is installed. Works fine for installation but once corroded from being exposed to the elements it requires much more torque and the bolt just spins in the subfloor. I had some luck with a small impact and wedging a screw driver between the stabilizer and the frame to keep pressure on the bolt head and increase friction. Another option is to grind the end of the thread flat to get a wrench or vice grips on it. Last option is trying to track down the location on the inside and drill a hole for access to the bolt head. Then cut off old bolts and put new stainless bolts in. 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Oh joy!  This sounds like a real pain & not something I want to anticipate!
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Stainless steel bolts might have been a better OEM option, no corrosion issues (or less chance of any).
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.