Do Tab 320 Owners Use RV Safe GPS?

Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
This goes out to the Tab 320 owners , but we have been trying to use several RV Safe GPS apps for our Tab adventures so far and honestly I’m not sure they are worth the hassle or are anymore trustworthy.

First, they are really buggy. One in particular, RV Life, takes multiple attempts to get it to start and will sometime display only a blank screen. Second, the directions are a bit odd with questionable routes. I assume they may be RV safe, but sometimes they are so out of the way adding way too much length to the trip. The most recent issue was on the last leg of our trip to Myrtle Beach, RV Life said it would take us 89 miles and 2 hours when the sign to Myrtle Beach said 62 miles. Sure enough it was taking us on some roundabout route. So I took a chance with Apple Maps, it took just 62 miles and 1 hour 15 minutes and the route was perfectly fine. We even followed some much bigger RVs on the route.

So this is what I hope to understand from experienced Tab 320 owners. Our Tab is the same width and length as our car so it tows on the same track as our car. If our car can make it through, the trailer can make it through. It seems more than capable on rough roads like construction - especially if I am cautious. The only thing I need to keep an eye out for is the 8 foot height clearance. But I have a truckers atlas that I can use to check for those on our route and the just pay attention! So knowing how easy it is tow the 320, do any 320 owners still feel they needed to use RV safe GPS or have you been ok just using Google and Apple Maps - and dare I say it - driving aware.

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    I never needed anything else other than apple or google maps. Although both have put me on some routes that  became a challenge while towing my 320. Doing some research with paper maps before a trip and having a good co-pilot helps a lot. In the north east my challenge is not winding up on parkways while plotting a route. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    Same as what @webers3 wrote, but we try to look ahead at the route before starting another leg.  One time we ended up on a winding gravel road even though we knew better and were armed with a hand written alternative.  Nonetheless, our pickup and small Tab handled it easily with a slow and steady effort.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    Thanks for the tips. You confirmed what I thought that you still have to do some route planning, but the Tab is so easy to tow it’s also very forgiving :-). The so called RV safe route was adding almost 1/3 more time in just one small segment so I can’t image how much longer our whole trip was because of the route.

Kevin
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2022
    Most RV type apps are designed with the larger rigs in mind, that require more road width and larger turning radius.  We just use Google Maps, and just add an hour to what the map says is the driving time.  We are towing a TaB400 behind a Jeep Gladiator mid size truck, and the trailer is about 6” wider (3” per side) than the truck wheel fenders, and tows nicely going where the Jeep goes.  

On our last trip we took a rural two-lane highway more like a back road, with several detours through small towns, and had no issues, with drive time being 1.5 hrs longer than the map’s estimate.   Other  than taking a little longer, we had a nice uneventful trip — but who’s in a rush anyway.  B)
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 270
    We use Apple Maps but also have an atlas along with us to double-check the routes. We like staying on main roads and highways where possible especially when we are on a schedule to get to our next destination. We did have one route through Mt Rainier NP that was trying to save us time and distance but ended up not being a through road. We got up to a closed gate but luckily there was a park ranger that helped us out. He said that we were the 3rd vehicle that had tried this route in a few days. The road really. should have had a sign indicating that it could not be used to get into the park.
    If you have a dedicated Garmin (other brands too probably) RV model device, you can set all the dimensions including weight. Still, the best navigation device is your common sense, if it looks wrong, it probably is wrong. The other thing to keep in mind, almost no technology provides 100% error free mapping and often routes aren't shown or they are wrong. I often wonder how we made it in the world pre about 30 years ago? Now we can't seem to function without an app for everything under the sun.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    edited July 2022
    I used maps and a area street atlas to navigate around.  Worked for me.  NavAps just make it easier, but you still need to use common sense, and evaluate suggested routing.  Google and Apple Maps navigation have kept me from getting caught in backed up traffic due to accidents.  Before, you either saw the backup and cou,d get off the highway, and take an alternate route looking at a map, or got caught, and had to ride it out to the nearest exit to take a detour.
     Cheers 
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    I used a Garmin RV GPS with my motorhome. Worked fine. Use it with the T@B now but really don't need an RV GPS due to the small size of the T@B. What is a plus is I installed a Garmin wireless rear camera on the T@B and it displays on my Garmin RV GPS so I don't need a monitor for the rear camera.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    SLJ I also have that same Garmin set up but find the camera is terrible as far as its picture to the Garmin is concerned, how is yours? AArt
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    gulfarea said:
    SLJ I also have that same Garmin set up but find the camera is terrible as far as its picture to the Garmin is concerned, how is yours? AArt
    Mine is fine. I got the extension cable and mounted the transmitter for the BC 30 on the front of the T@B and grabbed power from the junction box under the tongue. 

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    SLJ Yours looks great Art
    gulfarea said:
    SLJ Yours looks great Art
    Make sure the protective plastic film over the lens is removed.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    SLJ I wish that was the problem, thanks anyway Art
    Thanks again for all the advice. We used Apple Maps on the way back from Myrtle Beach and it worked great. Interestingly an “RV safe” feature I found it has that the RV GPS did not is the map and directions are just so much clearer and detailed. It did a better job telling me way in advance which lane to be in for interchanges - which helps when you need to cross multiple lanes with a trailer! The only watch-out is Apple Maps seems pretty aggressive in finding the shortest route so it does not hesitate to take you down some “farm roads” if it thinks it is quicker. I wish it just had a preference to say “prefer main roads.”

But I think our plan will be to keep using it along with my trucker atlas to check for hazards like low clearances. And the next version (iOS16) will get the ability to add waypoints so it adds more planning capability.

My only travel challenge now seems to be finding services with “RV safe” parking lots when we stop. I found even Pilot stations don’t make it easy to park a trailer - unless you want to leave your trailer at the pump or sneak into the truck area :-). Anyone recommend good travel services that seem to cater well to travel trailers? We stopped at a new Culver’s last night and it had RV spots and Tesla superchargers (my other car)! Not to mention great root beer shakes. Way to go Culver’s!

Thanks,
    Kevin
    I have used truck lanes at service stations with the TaB400, no issue, as long as it has a regular gas pump.  Some have diesel only.  I also pull into the regular pump island, if overhead clearance is high enough (most are) and it is not too busy (vehicles waiting for gas).
     Cheers 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Flybone89 said:
    Thanks again for all the advice. We used Apple Maps on the way back from Myrtle Beach and it worked great. Interestingly an “RV safe” feature I found it has that the RV GPS did not is the map and directions are just so much clearer and detailed. It did a better job telling me way in advance which lane to be in for interchanges - which helps when you need to cross multiple lanes with a trailer! The only watch-out is Apple Maps seems pretty aggressive in finding the shortest route so it does not hesitate to take you down some “farm roads” if it thinks it is quicker. I wish it just had a preference to say “prefer main roads.”

But I think our plan will be to keep using it along with my trucker atlas to check for hazards like low clearances. And the next version (iOS16) will get the ability to add waypoints so it adds more planning capability.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Also, if you have an Apple Watch and you’re using Apple Maps for navigation, your watch will vibrate on your wrist to alert you to an upcoming turn. It’s a nice heads up feature.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Dan_AnnDan_Ann Member Posts: 4
    We do not.  It is too expensive and T@B is small enough for us not to really worry about.  We use Waze and seems to do a nice job. 
    2021 T@B 400 B00NDOCK  
    2022 RAM 1500 Laramie
    Michigan
     B) 
  • GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    I gave up on my Toyota in car gps, and my TomTom. You can set Google maps to avoid dirt/gravel roads and take the quickest rt. It always offers 3. Scenic - Quick - and Short. I avoided toll roads once, but used more gas(and time) than the tolls would have been. You also check a rt overview to make sure it doesn't take any where unexpected.
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    @GregChris: How do you set Google maps to avoid dirt/gravel roads and take the quickest route?
    What I would love to see is an ability to set a maximum speed irrespective of the actual speed limit.  This really impacts our route choice.  Anyone found this capability anywhere?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    After I posted this based on the replies I started using Apple Maps instead of RV safe GPS app and it indeed worked out just fine. I do find Apple Maps is a bit aggressive on its routing taking us down county roads a lot to cut off just a few mins. You can adjust it some as it does allow you to select the route / waypoints and some preferences as well, but since our Volvo TV has Apple CarPlay it is pretty good package overall.

We will probably switch to Google Maps when we get our new Volvo TV next spring (EX90 EV) as it uses built-in Google Auto for its system and we will need the charging guidance - that will be a whole new world with trailer in tow!

Kevin
  • techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    I have a Garmin RV1090. I mostly bought it for the rear-of-trailer camera capability, though I've been too lazy to actually install the camera so far. I usually have it running alongside Google Maps, and will take what seems like the best of either proposed route if there's a variance between them.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Short answer : NO. Don't gps ever. Only occasional google maps. Anywhere our Silverado 2500hd can go (23 ft of truck with hitch), the t@b goes too. Easily. We love to "adventure". Ooooh, over there looks interesting, or let's go northeast. General direction or only an idea, after that, the adventure really begins.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    We "trust" Google Maps but verify with paper maps and other sources.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH