Options

2 lithium installed outside on 2022 320 s BD

I am purchasing a new 320 S Boondock. Has anyone been able to install 2 lithium (Battleborn or Lion) batteries in the outside storage compartment and how done? Thinking of using: 100Ah 12V GC2 LiFePO4 Heated Battery Kit https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/100ah-12v-gc2-lifepo4-heated-battery-kit-1-battery/   with vertical orientation.
Also can the converter handle the two 100 AH batteries?  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Rayz in the 2021 model year the converters had a switch on the converter itself for lithium batteries, but sometime later that model year or with the 2022 models, the converter was updated to a self sensing type that adjusted for lithium batteries without the necessity of a manual switch to change converter capabilities to accomodate lithium charging specs.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I have installed a 100Ah Lithium battery in my 2022 320S and there I believe there is room for a second one. My battery fits in the battery case provided for the original lead-acid battery. I will likely buy a second one at some point but may move the installation inside to reduce tongue weight and provide more storage in the front tub.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    As part of the upgrade to two 100 Ah Battleborn heated batteries on my 400, I upgraded the converter to the new lithium compatible model currently used on Tabs.  The converter has worked well with the Battleborns. Very pleased with the upgrade, the charging has been seamless with the Victron controller rooftop solar along with Victron dc/dc charger (while traveling) and with the converter while on shore power.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    Rayz said:
    I am purchasing a new 320 S Boondock. Has anyone been able to install 2 lithium (Battleborn or Lion) batteries in the outside storage compartment and how done? Thinking of using: 100Ah 12V GC2 LiFePO4 Heated Battery Kit https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/100ah-12v-gc2-lifepo4-heated-battery-kit-1-battery/   with vertical orientation.
    I have one in the old style tub and I would guess that you would be able to get 2 into the newer (bigger) tub. The batteries don’t need to be put in traditional vented battery boxes but you should probably come up with some kind of enclosure. 

But if you’re starting from scratch (new trailer) I would encourage you to consider putting the batteries inside to keep them (more) safe from being stolen. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I always liked Dale Helman's solution to having an extra battery.  Stack them up.  Lithiums would be even lighter.https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/93689/#Comment_93689

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited July 2022
    Marceline said:
    Rayz said:
    I have one in the old style tub and I would guess that you would be able to get 2 into the newer (bigger) tub. The batteries don’t need to be put in traditional vented battery boxes but you should probably come up with some kind of enclosure. 

But if you’re starting from scratch (new trailer) I would encourage you to consider putting the batteries inside to keep them (more) safe from being stolen. 
    I added two BB 100Ah batteries to my 320 this spring. You can get both in the cargo box, but it requires some modification for the second battery because of two things: the curve of the tub and an interior divider.
    The curve at the front of the box reduces the space for the second battery, and space is further limited by the low divider that runs the length of the floor of the tub. You will either need to cut that divider to allow the second battery to fit closer to the rear of the box, or make a low shelf to raise the battery up.
    You can fit both batteries without doing either of those things if you place them vertically, side by side however. In the end, I decided that it was easier to put my dual BattleBorns inside, in the passenger-side bench compartment. I also added a Renogy DC-DC charger in the compartment, and ran heavy gauge charging lines accordingly. There are phots of the mod on the forum; when I have a few minutes I'll see if I can find them and post a link.
    The newer WFCO on the 2022 320's has an option for LiFePO4 battery charging, so you just need to make sure that the setting is correct. I don't know what its specs are, but suspect that the charging amperage is low. This merely means that it will take longer to charge up your batteries though and is not really an issue
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The later 2022 TaBs have an auto switching WACO Converter, which detects which battery (flooded/AGM or Lithium) and sets it’s charging parameters to match the battery.  No switch to set as the earlier ones had.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RayzRayz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all. Great resources on this forum. Picked-up new T@B today. Let the mods begin.
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Our dealer installed two standard 100ah Battle Born batteries in the tub of our 2022 Tab 320s Boondock when we purchased the trailer early this year.  Snug, but they fit fine side-by-side in the tub.  Our converter is auto-switching.  We did no other modifications to the electric system and it operates normally, only with lots of reserve power.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited August 2022
    @Rayz in the 2021 model year the converters had a switch on the converter itself for lithium batteries, but sometime later that model year or with the 2022 models, the converter was updated to a self sensing type that adjusted for lithium batteries without the necessity of a manual switch to change converter capabilities to accomodate lithium charging specs.
    Not all 2021s had a converter with a switch or were auto sensing.
    Model WF8735 - Not for lithium batteries
    Model WF-8735LiS - Has switch for charging lithium batteries
    Model WF8735-AD (used on 2022s) - Auto Detects for charging lithium batteries
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
    :| Last yr my husband put 2 lithium batteries in our 320, with help of forum. Unless you always hook up, the battery included is worthless. It lasts 2 days IF you only run refrigerator WITH ONE CLOUDY AND ONE SUNNY DAY!  Now, no worries, if sun or just a day or two clouds,use whatever power you want, lots hot water. We have not tried in winter, nor for greater than 8 days without sun ie solar charge, but i think would lasts
    since we do-not require a hook up we save $ as those sites are much less expensive. Yes, initial cost is painful, esp after paying a,  premium for nucamp., but so great :o  also had to replace that cheap faucet, now swings! Now heat from stove melts screen, yet another modification……. needed, i see from forum screen melting from stove is a common problem! Any suggestion??

• Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    I installed on 200 AH Lithium.  One of the best moves I made with my 2021 320 CS-S.  It changed our camping from worrying about whether we were taking the lead acid battery down too far to not being concerned about the battery. We can go for days without worry for the kind of camping we do.  No regrets.  I do have 200 watts of solar pumping back what it can into it. 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2022
    I leave the screen recessed, so it can not get burned/melted from stove heat.  I also crack open the window behind the stove, and turn on the exhaust fan.  Even with the screen up over the window, and window opened a few inches, with the ceiling exhaust fan, I never had an issue with the screen getting too hot.  

Another option, is to get a folding camp stove deflector screen, made of stainless steel, the fold open and give a back and side  panels between stove and the window, to deflect heat away from the window.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    @kottum
    kottum said:
    Our dealer installed two standard 100ah Battle Born batteries in the tub of our 2022 Tab 320s Boondock when we purchased the trailer early this year.  Snug, but they fit fine side-by-side in the tub.  Our converter is auto-switching.  We did no other modifications to the electric system and it operates normally, only with lots of reserve power.

Doug

Doug, I have one Battle Born battery installed in my 2022 T@B 320 BD tub now and I want to add a second battery before it’s too late. The dealer installed a pretty good size battery case though, so as it stands now I don’t have room for a second battery - but as I suspected the case is the issue. So I should be able to add a second battery if I just remove the existing case and reconfigure a bit. Would you mind sharing what your install looks like in the tub - a picture perhaps?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Kevin, a picture is not available right now but the mechanic who put the second battery in told me it fit snugly alongside the other battery.  I have not looked except at delivery (to be sure they were actually there), but I wonder if they trimmed the case or cover.  I'll take a look later this week.

Douglas
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    What model WFCO converter is in the T@Bs with the lithium switch?  I have a 2018 w/8735 converter and have thought about switching it out.  The 8735-LiS only has 4 AC & 4 DC circuits whereas my current 8735 has 6. 
    What are the circuits on the converter with the Lithium switch?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
    I got a 2022 320 S Boondock back in April, soon realized that the 54 AMP battery they added was useless. Bought two Battleborn 100 AMP heated batteries and had the dealer install them under the passenger side inside bench, freeing up all that space in the tub. That is the way to go. I now have an extra 20 lb propane tank in the box for outside cooking.
    2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
    North Georgia
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    CCC said:
    I got a 2022 320 S Boondock back in April, soon realized that the 54 AMP battery they added was useless. Bought two Battleborn 100 AMP heated batteries and had the dealer install them under the passenger side inside bench, freeing up all that space in the tub. That is the way to go. I now have an extra 20 lb propane tank in the box for outside cooking.
    Awesome! do you have any picture to share? I'm curious how they did this. Did they have to run any new wires to the front tub? How did they route the external solar connector also? 
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
    I will take a pic. They put in the external solar port in the front tub for a an additional solar panel connection, which was omitted in the initial build. Not using it yet. Just moved the batteries to the passenger bed and ran the solar panel wires to there. I'll check the cost. Clean build.
    2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
    North Georgia
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @stepheng How odd the specs of the WFCO 8735LiS now only indicate 4 AC and DC circuits as I had it installed in my 2018 320S and it was a direct drop in for the standard/non-lithium 8735. WFCO has stopped manufacturing the LiS models with the switch, which is unfortunate as the "AD" replacements are apparently not reliable at detecting lithium (per others on this Forum). 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    @dsfdogs Thanks for the info.  Looks like the Progressive Dynamics PD 4135KW2BV is a drop in with the correct number of AC & DC circuits.  Also has Lithium switch.  about $180 - think I might do the conversion.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock