Options

Screen door gasket missing?

Cleaning up the T@B after a 4-day trip and just happened to see a lot of bright sunlight around screen door. Looking closer there is a rather large gap, 3/16" or so between the screen door mounting bracket and door frame. No wonder we had a lot of bugs in camper! Really seems like there needs to be a gasket between the frame and opening, is it just missing from mine or is the "normal"? The camper was built in Nov 2021 and came with the door already installed.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2022
    Good catch, we discovered that issue last year when we camped inland (Clear Lake CA) and had small flying insect invasion, which screen door closed.  Doesn’t look like there was ever a gasket around the screen door frame.  From the inside, the right side is tight against the door frame, but the top has the biggest gap with a smaller gap in the left side area.  Your is a very big gap!

After returning home, where we do not have a flying small insect issue! I forgot about it, until seeing your post.  I think some small foam Rope type gasket material used when caulking around windows will do the trick or sealing this area up.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    @Denny16
    I have gaps all the way around. If there is supposed to be a gasket there (i.e., are there T@Bs that have it?) then I would hit up the dealer for the product. It is an easy fix, but would like to hold them accountable.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 756
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock.  Mine does NOT have a gasket but the screen door frame is pretty tight all around.

• Options
    SoCalEsbenSoCalEsben Member Posts: 42
    Very interesting! I have a 2022 TAB 400 BD and I was one of the ones that didn't get a screen door when I took delivery of the camper.

Last month I finally got the screen door and I installed it myself. I noticed a gap exactly like yours - and a smaller one on the kitchen side of the door. I thought I might have missed something - some secret way they fit the door perfectly. Apparently they don't. Makes me feel better, but I'm definitely looking for some good ideas for covering these gaps. For now, I showed some weather stripping in there, but it's not the prettiest.

• Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    Wow, so I guess no gasket designed in!

If I assume I have an average of 1/8" gap (that is conservative, most of it is wider) around both sides (75" tall) and top (25" wide), that is equivalent to a 1/8" x (25"+2x75") = 21-7/8" area which is like having a 2-1/2" hole in my screen.

I had a bag of open cell foam laying around and by using a putty knife I compressed it and filled the gap. I did not use the PSA since this is a temporary fix, I'm heading out on the road again in a few days so this should work for now.  At some point I will remove the door and put a decent gasket in there which will not be so visually apparent.

The foam I used is Frostking, fills gaps to 3/8", actually worked pretty good.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    @falcon1970, the gap above your screen door in the photo you,posted is big enough for small flying insects, I have about the Sam gap, and you,can put several bits of card stock between the screen frame and door frame
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SoCalEsbenSoCalEsben Member Posts: 42
    @subkron Thanks for your input! The gap is definitely pretty big -that's why I initially thought I did something wrong. I'd love to see the final result and if you find anything specific that works well.

On a side note. The screen door frame was a VERY tight fit at the top - still working on how I can get the corner covers on since they make the frame slightly wider and it's already pressed against the sides without them on.