Options

Filling up water using your house hose, 2022 320 S...

CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
edited August 2022 in Camping & Travel
I still have conflicts from the tech's walkthrough. I have read NuCamps sketchy owners manual and the Nautilus one but Nautilus warns you not to overfill your fresh water tank and then "refer to your owners manual", I don't see anything at NuCamps about this other than they mention a fresh water tank overflow valve. So if you are filling up the fresh water tank from your house do you just wait until you detect drainage onto the ground or is there some double secret trick I'm missing. Sorry for the many questions but I'm trying to get organized for when my camper gets back from the shop.
2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can fill the fresh water tank, setting the Nautilus valves per the diagram, until water comes out the overflow or whilst the tank is filling, monitor the water level from the control panel inside the TaB by the door.  When the display starts to show its full, turn off the water.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
    Denny16 said:
    You can fill the fresh water tank, setting the Nautilus valves per the diagram, until water comes out the overflow or whilst the tank is filling, monitor the water level from the control panel inside the TaB by the door.  When the display starts to show its full, turn off the water.
     Cheers 
    So if you are inside the T@B and the monitor shows its full you have to sprint to the hose valve on the side of the house and turn it off? Or if outside and you you see water escaping through the overflow you then must sprint to the water valve on the house? 
    2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
    North Georgia
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    CCC said:
    Denny16 said:
     Cheers 
    So if you are inside the T@B and the monitor shows its full you have to sprint to the hose valve on the side of the house and turn it off? Or if outside and you you see water escaping through the overflow you then must sprint to the water valve on the house? 
    You could place a cutoff valve on the hose closer to the trailer, then cut off that end when you see water escaping through the overflow. Then walk to the water valve on the house and cut that off. OR, I think there is a valve on the Nautilus that you could flip to city water, and then it would be no longer filling your tank, just pressurized on the city water system. Just make sure you have a pressure reducer on your hose.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I dunno...
    I think the sprint is probably better exercise...  ;)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Don’t Panic… I have a valve on the hose end I use to fill the trailer’s water tank.  No sprinting required.  The tank displays, show full before the tank is completely full. So a minute or so to walk to the driver’s side of the trailer and turn off the water.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 132
    When filling our freshwater tank, I put a bucket under the over flow tube and when water starts running out I walk over and turn off the hose.  For me it takes about 9 minutes to fill the tank.  So I start the fill, note the time and go about other pre-trip tasks whilst keeping an eye on the clock.  At about 8 1/2 minutes I stop what I am doing and pay close attention to the overflow.  As with most of this stuff, doing it helps you learn what works best for you.
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    Curious to hear if anybody has thoughts on appropriate water pressure for filling the fresh tank with a Nautilus P2.5 (on the 2021/2022 320 models). I'm using a regulator adjusted to keep water flow under 40 PSI, but hearing a weird noise when filling at higher pressures.

Turning the water pressure up above 15 PSI causes a low-pitched squealing noise (not dissimilar from the sound of flow through a crimped water hose) when filling the fresh tank. The noise makes me uneasy, so I've been filling the tank very slowly at the lowest pressure possible out of an abundance of caution. 

I have not observed similar behavior using the same port on 'city water' mode at pressures between 25 and 35 PSI.

Neither the Nucamp manual for my model (2022 320 S) nor the Nautilus P2.5 manual offer any guidance here, so wondering if what I'm seeing is unusual, or if filling at a low-and-slow pressure is an undocumented norm.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    What am I missing here: Use a pressure limiter while filling the tank (or on city obviously), fill until overflow, leisurely walk over and shutoff. The trailer plumbing can manage the pressure and so the only question is can the Fresh water tank bladder hold the pressure. The pressure there could only build to the limit pressure and be a problem ONLY if the overflow can't handle the input water flow rate. But even in this case the water would come out at a higher pressure but is still limited by the input limiter isn't it?
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Yes it is Mark, the tank will build up some pressure, but not enough to split any seams, as long as the input pressure is 25-35psi, the overflow should release the pressure.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    @Denny16 okay your caveat got me, my limiter is probably 40-45 PSI, not 25-35 - haven't measured, just hoped... But depending on my input flow rate and outlet flow rate the pressure (though unlikely) could get up to my limiter. I'd prefer not to pressure test the bladder to 40-45 to verify I'm good. Where does your 20-35 psi estimate come? (I love rabbit holes)
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Mark, Just a rough estimate based on inlet size and overflow size openings.  Most RV and Marine water tanks, are designed for non-pressurized applications.  They  end a vent and the fill line is supposed to be gravity water feed, not a pressure feed.  

My guess, the Nautilus has a flow restrictor between the city water connection and water tank, to prevent pressurizing the tank during the fill process.  

The water pump develops around 25-35psi, and can also fill the tank safely, and is the basis of my 25-35psi level as being safe. Most of the inexpensive RV water regulators, also restrict the water flow rate, which would also work.  Water flow rate is just as important as pressure when filling a tank. 
    Cheers 
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    techietab said:
    Curious to hear if anybody has thoughts on appropriate water pressure for filling the fresh tank with a Nautilus P2.5 (on the 2021/2022 320 models). I'm using a regulator adjusted to keep water flow under 40 PSI, but hearing a weird noise when filling at higher pressures.

Turning the water pressure up above 15 PSI causes a low-pitched squealing noise (not dissimilar from the sound of flow through a crimped water hose) when filling the fresh tank. The noise makes me uneasy, so I've been filling the tank very slowly at the lowest pressure possible out of an abundance of caution. 

I have not observed similar behavior using the same port on 'city water' mode at pressures between 25 and 35 PSI.

Neither the Nucamp manual for my model (2022 320 S) nor the Nautilus P2.5 manual offer any guidance here, so wondering if what I'm seeing is unusual, or if filling at a low-and-slow pressure is an undocumented norm.
    The sound you are hearing is, most likely, the pressure regulator doing its thing.
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California