Options

Window Latch Knob Misalignment

freddy_nucamptabfreddy_nucamptab Member Posts: 4
edited August 2022 in Products and Accessories
Hi everyone, during our most recent camping trip I noticed one of the window latch knob became misaligned and was pushing against the window, this is preventing the window from being fully closed.. not sure how this happened :o

This is the misaligned knob:

Comparing to the good one:

I took down the latch and tried to twist it but it didn't seem to want to move, applied some WD-40 and left it overnight, still couldn't twist it back to its original position.

Has anyone run into this issue on your trailer? I've also reached out to nucamp customer service team and I'll update with any findings there.
2020 T@B 320 CS-S @ Ottawa, ON

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Can you completely unscrew the knob then turn it to the correct position?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Can you completely unscrew the knob then turn it to the correct position?
    Yes I tried that, unfortunately only the knob head came out, the receiver end was still attached to the latch body and I couldn't twist it..
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    That is strange. Is there perhaps a set screw in the housing that could be loosened so the housing could be more easily rotated? I see a little dimple on the right side of the housing in the photos.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Good eye @ScottG!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM. Of course I have no idea if that is what it is--I'll have to take a closer look at mine when I get a chance.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I just looked at ours and there are no set screws anywhere on it.  I think the plastic portion with the knob is just pressure attached to the aluminum rod.  Ours on on there tight but it may be possible that if it was banged into it could be twisted?  It may just need to be turned back in the proper direction with a little force but sounds like that was already tried and did not work?  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    Ok so I just looked at ours again and they do move.  Remove the set knob then just grab the other part as in the picture and twist it in the direction you need it to go.  Ours moved fairly easily in either direction.

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Yep, checked mine and no set screws. I agree with @bergger, remove the knob and carefully "force" the fitting back to where you want it. I suggest holding the aluminum strut tightly as you do so, so as not to break the rather spindly connection with the window.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    That is strange. Is there perhaps a set screw in the housing that could be loosened so the housing could be more easily rotated? I see a little dimple on the right side of the housing in the photos.
    Thank you ScottG, yes I did remove the entire latch as well as the screw knob, however the housing itself seems stuck really well to the latch rod and it doesn't like to be twisted(the rod gets twisted together)..

bergger said:
    Ok so I just looked at ours again and they do move.  Remove the set knob then just grab the other part as in the picture and twist it in the direction you need it to go.  Ours moved fairly easily in either direction.

Thank you bergger for the close up! That is very strange that yours can move freely, I just went out and checked again on both the good and the bad knobs, nope they won't move..

I also heard back from nucamp team (very quick response from them!), they said they couldn't figure out how it got twisted in the first place or how to turn it back without breaking something. Ordering the parts from the dealership was their suggestion. Oh well I suppose I'll get in touch with the local dealership.
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    Yep, checked mine and no set screws. I agree with @bergger, remove the knob and carefully "force" the fitting back to where you want it. I suggest holding the aluminum strut tightly as you do so, so as not to break the rather spindly connection with the window.
    This actually got me to think, hmm I didn't really hold the strut rod in place while turning the hitting before, I should give that a try..

Went out and grabbed a plier to hold the rod, and then guess what.. Vola!! The fitting was twisted back! My knob misalignment mystery journey has come to an end! @Sharon_is_SAM, @ScottG, @bergger thank you all for helping out!  =)