Options

Danby AC not working 2018 T@B

I have a 2018 320S, purchased from the original owners in September 2020.  I have rarely used the Danby Air Conditioner.

I am preparing for an upcoming trip, where AC might be nice to have, so I gave it a test run yesterday.  Uh oh!
Trailer is plugged into shore power.  I turned on the fan switch on the wall and tried the different settings on the AC unit.  I can here what sounds like a fan, but the sound of the fan does not change as I change settings (e.g., low vs high), AND I do not feel any air coming out of the Danby at all, cool or otherwise.  :open_mouth:  

I consulted the Danby Manual which said to clean the filter.  Which I did.  But it doesn't make a difference.

I don't have a lot of experience with these AC units.  None of the other options in the troubleshooting section of the manual seem to apply to my situation.
Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix it?

Also, I didn't pay close attention when I removed the filter.  Which way does it go back in?  Does the plastic grid frame face out or in?  Does it matter?

Thanks!
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited August 2022
    Are you sure that there's even power to the Danby? The ventilation fan is a completely separate unit. Even if the compressor in the A/C isn't kicking on, if there's power I'd think that it would at least be blowing air. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited August 2022
    Agree with @Marceline, the first two things I’d check would be the AC plug/outlet, and the corresponding fuse circuit breaker (edit) in the converter box. The wall fan switch only controls the vent fan that helps circulate air in the AC cabinet, and that fan only has one speed. I’d do all my testing from here forward with the wall switch off to make it easier to confirm whether or not the Danby is responding.

On my Danby, the bottom dial switch controls the fan only & AC settings, top dial switch controls the air temperature. The Danby plug itself has a Reset button on it, and should have a lit green LED if the unit has power.

Edit to add: The Danby website still has this model, it’s a whopping $220. Not exactly the most expensive unit to replace if it has failed (though a nuisance), and I know a few folks on here found better models that also fit the space.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Thanks @Marceline and @VictoriaP.  Somehow I thought that wall switch was some sort of shut-off for the entire AC.

There is no test light glowing on the plug.  I unplugged the AC and tested with another, known functional, electronic device.  Conclusion is there is no power going to that outlet.

Next stupid question:  where are the fuses?  Are they inside this black box (see photos)?  How do I access the fuses?  I hate messing with electricity. :s 

I may have to ask my son to help.   :|

• Options
    edited August 2022
    @PNWtabber Yes, inside the converter you have pictured. There's a spot to push (top center) and that front panel flips down to show you the fuses and circuit breakers. With any luck, they are labeled.

Have you checked the other 110v outlets to confirm the trailer has power? Knowing that would narrow it down to just the one circuit.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    @PNWtabber Yes, inside the converter you have pictured. There's a spot to push (top center) and that front panel flips down to show you the fuses. With any luck, they are labeled.
    Whew!  I am relieved to hear that front panel opens.  I was envisioning having to screw off the back.  Hoping that is the answer!

• Options
    Alrighty, I opened the "black box" (can I reiterate how much I hate working with electricity?).
    The circuit breakers are all in the "on" position, so I moved on to the actual fuses.  They are labeled for amperage, but not usage.

Searching the forum for clues, I found this thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8400/inverter-question/p1

@dsfdogs (who also has a 2018) had a post in that thread said they talked to Creed (?) and got this information (photo credit to @dsfdogs ):

So, I'm wondering if it is Fuse 4 (12-volt outlet) that is the problem?  I guess the only way to know is to pull the fuse and take a look?  It has been ages since I dealt with an automotive fuse problem.  :s 

Do I just pull the fuse out?????

Of course, if the fuse is bad, the next question is, what blew the fuse????  That is a 15 amp fuse.  The Danby manual says it requires a 15 amp fuse, so that would seem to be copacetic.

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    The AC outlets should have circuit breakers, like in your house. 

Inside the power converter door, there is a sticker explaining the 5 circuit breakers. On my 2018, the AC CB is the second from the front of the trailer. Look at the sticker to make sure yours are the same. Then plug the trailer in with an extension cord. There may be a cooling fan running in the power converter. If the fan isn't running, you can check there is AC power by plugging a light into another outlet. This way you know the converter is producing 110 volt AC for the trailer. When the air conditioner outlet has power, the plug will have a greenish light. There is a push button on the plug, the air conditioner's own circuit breaker.

We have the same Danby unit. As Victoria alluded, we are replacing during this winters down time. It has worked fine for two summers, we just want one with less noise and a thermostat. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Mickerly said:
    The AC outlets should have circuit breakers, like in your house. 

Inside the power converter door, there is a sticker explaining the 5 circuit breakers. On my 2018, the AC CB is the second from the front of the trailer. Look at the sticker to make sure yours are the same. Then plug the trailer in with an extension cord. There may be a cooling fan running in the power converter. If the fan isn't running, you can check there is AC power by plugging a light into another outlet. This way you know the converter is producing 110 volt AC for the trailer. When the air conditioner outlet has power, the plug will have a greenish light. There is a push button on the plug, the air conditioner's own circuit breaker.

We have the same Danby unit. As Victoria alluded, we are replacing during this winters down time. It has worked fine for two summers, we just want one with less noise and a thermostat. 
    Thanks, @Mickerly
    • None of the circuit breakers has tripped, all are in the correct position.
    • The trailer is connected to shore power at my house.
    • The AC plug is not glowing and I tested the outlet with another electrical item (my camera's battery charger) and the outlet does not have power.
    • So I am looking at fuses now?  
    I rarely use the AC, of course, no telling what the prior owners did.  But it appears to be the outlet, not the AC unit itself.

Am I missing something?

• Options
    edited August 2022
    @PNWtabber No, @Mickerly is correct and caught me in an error. The circuit breakers are for the 110v circuits, including the AC unit, the fuses are for the 12v DC circuits (anything that can run off battery) and shouldn’t be an issue here.

That said, if it were me? Assuming you’ve confirmed other outlets do have power, my next triage step would be to flip the AC & Main breakers to off, wait a minute, flip them back on and plug the AC back in. I have a breaker in the house that will zap itself without actually flipping to off (yes, I need to bring in an electrician), and just like a computer, flipping them off and back on sometimes resets things.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    mytabbys701mytabbys701 Member Posts: 18
    I agree with @PWNtabber - not all AC breakers will show tripped when tripped (just a slight move) -- and see if other AC/house outlets in the T@B have power (thought here is that not all the AC breakers would be tripped).

Also - if you have an extension cord, you could always unplug the AC unit from beside the cabinet and plug that into extension cord just to reassure yourself that the AC unit works.

good (electrical) hunting.
    2018 T@B 320S, a.k.a. The 4th Bedroom/2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2022
    Probably.  Have you checked the light on your T@B's electrical cable plug that is plugged into the the outside of your trailer?  Is it glowing?  If you're plugged into a 15 amp house outlet, you may have tripped the circuit breaker inside your house or on the house outlet itself where the trailer power cable is plugged in.  Are any other AC outlets working on the trailer?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    To add on to what BrianZ said, if no other AC outlets are working in the trailer, then the GFCI could have popped (just like in your home). The outlet right next to the converter has the red button you can push to reset.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    The technique is following the power. We know there is no power to the air conditioner outlet. That one outlet has it's own circuit breaker. Reset and see if the outlet has power. If that doesn't work, you need to see if power is coming from the power converter: is the power converter cooling fan running, do the other outlets work, does your battery power panel show 13+ volts? If those don't work, is power available from your extension cord. As you move backwards down the line, you are looking for the first thing with power. The device before that is broken.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    @PNWtabber Happens to everyone in one form or another, no worries! Glad to hear it turned out to be a non issue.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    No worries. You learned something. All is good.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @PNWtabber someday soon this event will lend itself to a great campfire story. Tuck all learned and experienced info under your cap for just such an occasion. Happy t@bbing.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 449
    LOL I was thinking about suggesting to check the basics first but I thought "Nah he's not a noob".... :)