Options

TAB 400 New vs. Old Style Bathroom Sink

I have been considering upgrading our round style sink in our 2019 400 with the new square sink. The round one doesn’t drain well despite the “fix” by NuCamp and when I flip it up, the water in the basin runs down onto the floor instead of into the trough in back.
I was recently quoted $800 by NuCamp for the job.
Before I make the investment, I would like to hear from owners of the new sink as to how well it drains and works. It will help me decide wether or not to spend the money.
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Not sure about the draining issue but from our perspective it boiled down to how much use and function the folding sink was for us. Turns out all we ever did was brush our teeth in it. Wife wanted more storage. I wanted more space to take a shower. So for far less than 800.00 we removed it and put in some towel rods and a shelf.

My concern after I took out the sink was unless you replumb the drain it is bound to clog as it is too small going to grey tank. If NuCamp fixes that with the swap, as I have seen some others do, then it might be worth it. But that small corrugated drain tube is just not big enough and hair and stuff will clog it up if used regularly, in my opinion. The pic is from my 2019 400.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    We have the square sink in our 2021 and really like it.  We use it for washing hands and face and brushing teeth.  I think it drains well and we do not have any issue with it spilling over onto the floor.  At 6'2" I like that it folds up and out of the way for showering and using the toilet.  However for $800 I'm not sure I would make the switch or not.  If you plan on having your trailer for a very long time then maybe it is worth it.  But I would probably wait and see what the new sink in the 2023 looks like.  Maybe that could be installed.  Or there is someone on the forum that made a post about pulling out the folding sink and installing a small narrow wall mounted sink that looked quite nice. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14697/tab400-wetbath-sink-replacement
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited August 2022
    I swapped the round for the square sink and it has been worth it. It drains so much better. The conversion was relatively straightforward. I used standard plumbing pieces for the drain. There is a “P trap” already in line under the plastic which is accessible through the outdoor shower opening. 

2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 613
    edited August 2022
    Agreed.  
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    Whilst not a solution for Jeff, we solved the folding sink issue on our 2018 TaB400, by getting one of the few 2018 TaB400 that was built by nüCamp without the sink.  No folding sink, no slow draining issues, one less plumbing connection to go wrong.  The drain to the black tank was not installed either, one less hole.  We do not miss having the sink either, the galley sink works quite well doing both jobs.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Coincidentally, We have discussed a new 400 but while there have been some good improvements, there have been eliminations of features we like and design changes that we don’t. We even thought about a larger trailer which old mean a different brand. In the end, the one we have continues to do  what we need. As a result, I don’t mind upgrading stuff. 
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I had the older sink that, of course, did not drain well. Somehow the drain plug of the round sink fell down into the sink's innards and NuCamp replaced the entire sink with the square one whilst at uCamp 2019. The new sink is huge in comparison and it drains better, but not perfectly. I think that was due to the hurried/harried installation in the field. I also think that it was last used around 2019, since we also always use the galley sink. For us, the new sink is just for show, but I do like having it. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2022
    To get an up graded old style round sink to the new larger square sink, to drain better, you need to increase the small drain on the older sink to a larger drain used on the newer sink.  This is going to require some additional alterations to the drain.  

@JeffroNC, I agree the original TaB400 has some nice features, some of which were eliminated (CoolCat) and put back in.  Our  late 2018 TaB400 works for us, and meets the requirements for a nice camping trip or other outing.  It is worth upgrading as required, which is less $ than replacement with a newer model.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I have a question for those who swapped sinks to the newer quart version
    Which faucet did you use? I can get a new plastic one like the original for $150 but that doesn’t seem like a good value. 
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    I used the original faucet when I switched from the round to the square drop down sink. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    @DenisP I’m worried about mine as it sometimes makes crunchy noises when I move it.  :|
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    @JeffroNC I would be concerned with crunchy sounds also, knock on wood my faucet is still functioning without issue. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts