Options

Sway Bar For My 2021 T@B 400

SydmargoSydmargo Member Posts: 26
What type of sway bars are you using? Do I have to disconnect it to back up? I do not want to use WD Hitch.

Comments

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    I don’t use a sway bar or WD hitch on my 400 BD. It pulls with no problem.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We use this one on our Tab 320s BD: 

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17200-Sway-Control-Kit/dp/B000HLO7QA/ref=asc_df_B000HLO7QA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128189269&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9265626497342223229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020178&hvtargid=pla-449712355360&psc=1

I like it very much for the reasons mentioned on the page.  If I had a Tab 400 I would use a weight distribution hitch instead, mostly to help with the gear loaded in the back of our Honda Ridgeline.  That plus the hitch weight of a loaded Tab 400 would put more weight than I like on our truck's rear axle while lightening the steering axle.  Not to mention our headlights blinding oncoming traffic at night because they would be too high.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Oh, yes disconnect the sway bar when backing unless more/less backing straight back.  Very easy to do, just pull the two small hitch pins and it's in your hand.  If you turn when backing you could jackknife the sway bar.

Doug
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I use a friction type sway bar while towing my 400 with a Tundra. On occasion when I forgot to set the friction, I have noticed slight movement with side winds and pulled into next rest area, set the friction and continued on. I have traveled a lot of miles with this setup and it is very comfortable to tow. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    I tow a 2021 400 with a Ford Ranger.  I did not consider the need for a sway bar as the trailer rode so well.  Then came this past week - I was on an interstate with the wind gusting to 20mph at times.  I passed a truck towing a long (and decrepit) RV trailer and while I was passing, I felt sway beginning (not a good feeling).  Before I could react, the Ford electronic Sway Control kicked in and immediately put us under control by applying brakes selectively to one wheel at a time and lowering engine output.   My thoughts after this experience:
    -Electronic Sway Control really does work
    -Sway can happen with a T@b and a truck rated for 7500lb tow capacity
    -For the first time I had been using the Jack-It tongue bike rack with two bikes on it - perhaps adding 100# to the tongue weight
    -Next time I use the Jack-It, should I fill the fresh water tank to provide more weight over the axle?
    -I am rethinking using a sway bar
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    At what speed did this occur?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    @Gherzig, what is the length of your tow hitch?  How many inches from retaining pin to center of 2" ball.  Keeping this value small is the best simple way to increase stability.  You tried increasing the tongue weight (which is commonly presented as a cure), and that didn't help. I think filling the fresh water tank will make little difference.
    We towed our 400 using a Jeep Cherokee - it was somewhat underpowered but never unstable when using a 6" pin-to-ball hitch.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    @rh5555, thank you.  I never gave the hitch length much thought.  Turns out I am using a hitch ball mount with a 10.5" spacing.  The shortest I can find is 7.5".  Did you drill out the 6" on your own?  Even 7.5" seems worth a try.
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I was around 65mph while passing a slower moving large trailer. I surmise that the wind was bouncing off the walls of the larger trailer.   

2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    The longer ball mount will increase the leverage any sway tendencies have on the rear of the tow vehicle.  This is transmitted to the steering axle making the whole setup less stable.  The closer the pivot point (ball coupler) is to the tow vehicle's rear axle, the better.  This is especially important with vehicles that already have a long overhang from rear axle to the back bumper.  

Independent rear suspension vehicles are also more stable than solid axle vehicles because they have a much wider stance, due to the farther outboard connection points of the suspension to the frame/unibody (think of standing with your feet spaced farther apart, and someone pushing you sideways).

You may be able re-drill your present ball mount to shorten this ball-to-axle if you have the equipment.  Or take it to a machine shop or hitch shop and have them do it.  You will need to be sure you have clearance for the bumper and any sway bar used, then mark a spot where the new hitch pin hole should be drilled.  If the ball mount is too long and sticks out the front of the receiver too much, have them cut off the excess.

There is a trade-off here.  The shorter ball mount will put the trailer closer to the back of the tow vehicle (that's good for stability and safety when towing), but a little less room before jack-knifing into the trailer when backing into a parking spot (that's bad if you don't have a spotter helping you back up).

Doug

Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    What's the wheelbase length on the tow vehicle?  A shorter wheel base will be less stable.

From the interweb, "As a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length."
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Yes, knowing the tow vehicle would make it easier to offer advice.

True, a longer wheelbase tow vehicle may be more stable when towing, as a general rule.  However this is still dependent on the ratio of rear overhang of the tow vehicle (distance of hitch coupler to tow vehicle rear axle).  A longer wheelbase stability may be defeated by a longer rear overhang, because the leverage of any sway is amplified.  A longer ball mount adds to the problem, and works on the same principle.

This is why a fifth wheel trailer or semi trailer which is coupled right over the rear axle is so resistance to sway.  It is also why a shorter wheelbase Chevy Tahoe may be as stable as a Suburban when towing a trailer.

Doug

Minnesota and Arizona