Options

Right Turn/Brake Indicator not working (brand new)

I just took deliver on my Ultimate Toys Camper...  AMAZING!  One glitch is that the right turn/brake indicator is not working.  The unit has lights identical to the 320 CSS.  I have traced voltage to the junction box under the tongue where it is good but beyond that appears to be 'open'.  I do not know where the wiring goes from there and/or if there is another junction point to access and test.  The feed through to the light bar on the rear is pretty well potted with RTV so access is not great.  Does the wiring run under the covered lip at the bottom of the clamshell?  Any suggestions would be appreciated before I tare into it.  So, there appears to be an open connection between the j-Box and the light bar (including, potential, a bad light bar). Thanks!
Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
Volvo XC-40
SF Bay Area, California

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    edited August 2022
    Before you do tear into it, check to see how clean the connections are at the 7 pin plug on both sides.  A little contact cleaner,  etc on both sides might help.
    Since you are one of the first Toys camper owners here.....you will have to tell us!  Pictures would be great.  In the Tabs, most of the wiring goes towards the back of the trailer and heads for the area near the converter.  Pictures of the innards of the trailer would be a great thing to have if you can get them!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    jbajor said:
    . . . have traced voltage to the junction box under the tongue where it is good but beyond that appears to be 'open'.
    "appears to be open" - - - because you have no measured voltage at the light, or just because
                                           light will not turn-on ? Thought being something wrong inside the
                                           taillight assembly.
    jbajor said:
    . . . Does the wiring run under the covered lip at the bottom of the clamshell?
    . . . appears to be an open connection between the j-Box and the light bar
    Typical trailers, and I believe all other nüCamp built teardrops, have a single direct 'hot wire' run to each taillight for turn/stop.  That is no additional junction box between the 7-pin junction box and the taillight assembly.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 137
    voltage is present at j-box with zero current draw from source (inline current meter)
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    jbajor said:
    voltage is present at j-box with zero current draw from source (inline current meter)
    If my trailer; would access the taillight assembly wire connection to trailer wire run.
    Or take it to the dealer for warranty repair.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 348
    I had the exact same situation with my new 2020 320 and it was the 7 pin...
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 137
    Thanks!  I verified that I have 12v at the j-box under the tongue..  no current, however, is being drawn.  Suspect break in line somewhere or bad light strip.
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Could also be the ground wire on that tail light if running light on it isn't working also or the new tail light itself. Make sure all the connection posts are tight in the junction box. Since it's new I'd let the dealer or NuCamp handle it if possible before you start taking stuff apart.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York