Options

Victron Solar Device Will Not Connect

Anyone with Victron Solar bluetooth connection difficulties in the past have suggestions?  2021 320S with the MPPT 75V | 15A solar connector will not recognize my iPhone 6S.  The connection was made initially after downloading the phone app but no more.  Instruction booklet provides minimal assistance and an email to  Victron support instructs me to contact the dealer(?).  Tried trashing the app and reloading, restarting phone, etc.  No connection.  The device is not on my iPhone bluetooth list either.  I'm stumped.

2021 320S BD
2020 V6 Chevy Colorado

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Not sure if you are using the VictronConnect Manual, but here is the link and some info. on troubleshooting.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VictronConnect_Manual/VictronConnect_manual-en.pdf

11. Troubleshooting

11.1. Common Bluetooth problems and how to solve them
    The #1 first step before attempting any of the specific troubleshooting advice below is to power down and then restart all related devices. This includes closing the software, restarting the phone, and Victron product. This will solve most issues.
    For example, with Victron MPPTs you must isolate the MPPT from both battery and solar voltage so that no lights appear, before reconnecting it again.

I cannot find my product listed
    • Make sure that you have a “Smart” Victron product. It needs to have a Bluetooth symbol.
    • Make sure your product is in range.
    • If a firmware update failed, the product Custom Name might have reverted to its original name and serial number, check if that
    is the case. Once the update is completed, the Custom Name will be back. See more tips about troubleshooting firmware up-
    dates on section 9.3 [25].
    • Only one phone can be connected to a product at the same time. Make sure that no other phone is already connected.
    Make sure you are attempting to connect from within VictronConnect - not from the system menu of your phone. If you have connected from the system menu: close VictronConnect, remove the pairing information from your phone, and then open and connect to your product from within VictronConnect.

I can see but cannot connect to my product
    1. Make sure you are trying to connect to the right product. See section 4.3 [7] to learn how you can give your product a Custom Name.
    2. Make sure your product is in range. It can be that you are close enough to see the product but not close enough to connect to it.
    3. Make sure that Bluetooth is still enabled on your phone. If Bluetooth was disabled after scanning, you may be able to see your product listed but you won't be able to connect to it.
    4. Bluetooth bonding information may be outdated. This happens when the PIN code has been changed in the product, or if your Victron product has been connected to too many phones. The product will only remember the last 10 phones connected to it. To solve this, remove the pairing completely from your phone system menu. Then open VictronConnect and re-pair the prod- uct and your phone. Watch these instructional videos to learn how to remove the pairing on Android or iOS.
    5. If you are using an Android phone, check section 11.2 [35] below for issues particular to Android as well.

Connection fails around 20%
    1. Make sure you are up to date with the latest version of VictronConnect.
    2. Remove the product from the paired devices list in the phone's Bluetooth settings.
    3. Then Reset the PIN code.
    4. Force close the VictronConnect app. Instructions: how to for iPhone and iPad, how to for Android. If you are unsure how to do
    this, then uninstalling and re-installing the app works as well)
    5. Reconnecting in VictronConnect using the default PIN 000000
    6. Then change the PIN code.

11.2. Bluetooth connection issues on Android
    Step 1: Check that your phone is supported See section 3.3 Compatibility for Android Step 2: Check the Android version
    • Android 4.2 or earlier: this Android version is not supported. The earliest Android version which can be used with Bluetooth is 4.3.
    • Android 5: check for known Android PIN code pop-up bug.
    • Android 6 or later: no known issues.
    Step 3: Check that VictronConnect has access to the location services
    On Android 5 and later VictronConnect needs access to the phone's location services to be able to scan nearby Bluetooth prod- ucts. Unless you checked “Don't show again” VictronConnect will warn on each discovery attempt when permissions are not gran- ted or location services are disabled.
    Permission to access location services is requested each time the app starts ...but if you checked the “Don't show again” option while denying, the request won't appear again.. You can grant permission by going to the Android settings → Applications → Vic- tronConnect → Permissions, and then enable the “Location” permission. Another way is to uninstall and then reinstall VictronCon- nect.
    Step 4. Enable Location (or GPS) functionality in the system settings
    For Bluetooth scanning to work, the Location (or GPS) functionality on the phone needs to be enabled.
    Step 5. Search & connect from within VictronConnect, and NOT from the system Bluetooth menu
    Step 6. PIN code pop-up never shows
    On some Android phones, the PIN code pop-up dialog doesn't show. It is hidden into the notifications bar.
    Try to connect and when the connection is stuck at 80%, open the notifications bar and check if the PIN code/Pair request is there, if this is the case open it and enter the PIN code.
    On Android it is also possible that other apps prevent the PIN code pop-up from showing, even when pairing in the Android Blue- tooth settings menu. One such an app is “FrSky Free Link”, which even blocks pairing with Bluetooth headsets. In this case, the thing to do is remove the problematic app. This can be done by uninstalling apps one by one (starting with apps that use or con- nect to Bluetooth devices), removing all apps or even resetting the phone to factory defaults. When the Victron products are paired to the phone/tablet, the problematic app can be re-installed.
    The default PIN code is 000000, six times zero.
    Step 7. Try another phone at first
    If you are still experiencing difficulties, having tried the steps above, try connecting using another phone; preferably an Apple phone or tablet as they work without any issues.
    When successfully connected using another phone, VictronConnect will automatically update the firmware in the Victron Blue- tooth product. After the firmware has been updated you may find that you can use the Android phone with which you were experi- encing difficulties.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Is this a "pre owned" trailer?  If the app was set up by a previous owner, it may have to be completely reset.  There is a "Personal Unlock Key" that is (sadly) on the back of the unit. 
    But, it sounds like you aren't even getting to the log in point.  It may be time to take a good look at the controller and see if the connections are good.  If the controller has no power, the app won't work.
    The nice blue Victron controller should be easy to spot in the Alde compartment ( I hope!).  If there are nice lights on the Controller you can check.
    If all the cables look ok, it might be good to completely restart the controller.  On the bottom of the unit there is a 20 amp fuse.  Pull the fuse and replace it, and see if the controller restarts in a better functioning mood.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 51
    Sorry for delayed response. @Sharon_is_SAM and @pthomas745, I tried your suggestions.  Connection through app not iPhone.  I am not getting to the Victron login.   I am original owner.  Connected to same iPhone initially last year when new.  I have power to the Victron (lights on in front of unit).  Tried disconnecting from battery, then pulling Victron fuse - then reinserting fuse.  Still get "No Devices Found".  Could it have resulted from an update?   I am not sure where to go from here.  May try connecting with neighbor's iPhone.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    There has been a Victron update in the last couple of weeks, so check that.  I am no expert...but I wonder if this has anything to do with the iPhone being an earlier model?  So, yes, the neighbor's phone might be a good idea.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2022
    Have you tried deleting the 'solar controller' from your iPhone's Bluetooth repertoire?

On the Android, I can "forget" a device, in order to re-pair with it.

I believe the default pairing code is six zeroes, provided you haven't changed that...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya