Options

New light switch in 2023 400 bed cubby.

This light switch has been reported over in the FB page.  It is apparently over in the bed cubby.  The group has decided the switch is for the "fridge to run on 12V" or something...which, I am doubtful.  (The owner who posted this used to have a previous 400, and he is doubtful, too.)
Guesses have included some type of warning about the inverter being on, a light switch for an item in the cubby, etc. Any guesses?

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    Yes it looks identical to the switch previous years of 400s have to allow the fridge to operate on 12v. However in the past, like on our 2021, the switch is placed above the fridge and has a blue led light. But honestly if the new 400s have a compressor fridge the secondary switch to allow it to operate is kind of silly in my opinion. The reason it was there for the older 3-way fridge was because of how inefficient it is on 12v and how quickly it can drain a battery. They wanted to make sure it was not accidentally turned on 12v.  So I guess the only way to really find out what it is for is to have an owner of a 2023 tell us. I believe the 2023 also still has the same light switch in the cubby so it’s probably not that. And the inverter already has a light on the power button to let you know it’s on. It certainly does look like the secondary fridge 12v switch but again, that’d be unneeded in my opinion. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,652
    @bergger Thanks, I just read over the thread about the fridge switch, and your comments on it. The owner is going to go and have another look today. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    The owner posted after receiving a response from nuCamp: it's a switch for the heater on the Battle born battery.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Well that makes more sense.  But the location of the switch is a little to be desired for.  One more LED light to cover when trying to sleep in cold weather. Should have placed it just inside the door by the Alde control panel. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2022
    On the TaB400, that is too far from the battery bank.  Best to keep wire runs as short as possible.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I thought the battleborn batteries had an integrated heater that draws very low amps?   I would think the switch and wire just sends the signal to turn on and off the internal heaters.  I would think the distance would not be an issue with the proper wire.  Anyway I just am not a fan of LED lights when trying to sleep.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,652
    I think it is just another "a lithium needs this and this and this and this and this!"  I'm a Will Prowse fan, and he wonders if these heaters are worthwhile at all.  If the temps are so cold inside a 400 that the batteries are freezing, then you have other issues! Note the first few minutes of this video.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    Interesting video for sure.  Now where I live I know the batteries will get well well below freezing.  My insulated shed often gets down to 10-15 degrees overnight.  I'm sure our T@b is even colder than that as it is not as insulated as my shed it.  But I live in an extreme environment and because of that I stay away from lithium for our trailer.  If I had lithium I'd have to remove them for the winter and keep them in a warmer environment.  I'd like lithium but the AGMs have worked great here and maybe if we move away from the top of the world someday I'll invest in a lithium set up.  Thanks for posting the video.   
    Leadville Colorado