Options

Belly Pan Mounting Bracket

scott14scott14 Member Posts: 132
We have a 2022 T@B 320 S.  We took delivery in December of 2021.  To date, we have logged about 3,000 miles of travel with the trailer.  We could not be happier about the camper, the experiences we have had, and the nuCamp company.... however, I noticed something last night during a routine inspection of the trailer.  These pictures are of the passenger side belly pan, near the rear of the trailer, behind the axle.  At least two of the mounting screws have rusted and the heads fell off when I pushed the trim piece back into place.  The trim piece holding the corrugated belly pan is now not fastened and the belly pan unsupported.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What can be done to remove the shaft of the machine screw from the frame so I can put new machine screws in?

Thank you for your help!
Scott

Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Extremely common problem. I had several screws that broke and I ended up taking all of the factory ones out and replacing them with higher quality screws. It was a huge pain removing them. I had to back them out with pliers from the backside of the frame. Took forever. In hindsight I would've used a precision grinder with a pointed tip to drill out the screw shaft from the underside...way easier. You can find grinders pretty cheap...wish I would've thought of it beforehand.

The good news is you can have a fair amount break and that belly pan will stay up...but I didn't want to risk it. 

But yes, a common problem probably caused by over-tightening using an impact drill to install them. None of mine were really that corroded.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2022
    Yes, the break on the screw shown appears to be a stress break (caused by over driving the screw per manyman’s comment above).  The corrosion appears to be on the surface only, and is normal for plated steel screws exposed to any significant moisture, like the u deride of the trailer is.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 132
    Thank you for the information!
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Thinking of getting a box from McMaster-Carr (McMaster-Carr) is there one size used for this and thinking Stainless Steel? This maybe considered preventive maintenance also been avoiding taking that off for some inspections....
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Stainless fasteners would be the way to go.  Just be careful about driving them in, they are easier to over torque and break.  I think our local TaB dealer shop replaced the bottom underbelly screws on our TaB400 with stainless when they had the bottom cover off.  Check the stainless compound being used, not stainless fasteners have the sam corrosion resistance or shear strength.  Marine grsde stainless fasteners are best.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    After all that @Denny16 do you know the size? Is there only one size? We had probably 1000 screws for access panels on our plane and the significantly easier time w/ corrosion was worth the softer head (easier to strip). 88 on the cowling alone which got removed a lot.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @MarkAl That is a lot of screws Mark!  The p,and I worked on was a Navy WWII single engine bomber trainer, had a dual cockpit, and everything, I mean everything was riveted on.  Taxing that beast on the ground was like driving a small house around.  

I am not sure on the size, I haven’t pulled one yet, but my guess is nüCamp used either a no 8 or no 10 by 1/2 or 3/4 inch screw.  You should pull one and match it if the holes are in good kit, or get the next wire size larger.  There is not any weight on this, just some wind buffering.  The dealer’s shop dropped mine when we had the floor done.
     Cheers