Options

Winter storage

While I think indoor, heated storage is the ideal situation, it is pretty expensive. So my plan now is to have the T@b winterized, probably about the same time I put my motorcycle away for the year, and then just park it in my driveway. I have the T@b cover and will leave it that way until the spring. I'm assuming that even if it is covered with snow and ice during the coldest part of the winter that it will not do the camper any harm. Is this how some of you store your T@b in the colder parts of the country? If not, I am hoping to hear suggestions as to a better way to do it. BTW, if the T@b is winterized by the dealer, I assume they would disconnect the battery as part of the winter preparation. How, if any, would that affect my drive home from the dealer? Would the electric brake and lights still work while I am hooked up to my TV even with a disconnected battery? 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Yes, your brakes and lights would work, they are fed from your TV. However you would not have any brakes if your trailer popped off the hitch and your brake away switch energized.  I put my batteries in my garage over the winter and recharge them once a month.  (NE Ohio) I keep my TAB in one of those portable garages. 
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    We will also be storing our t@b outside with a cover on it.
    I don't have the garage space to fit it inside. How do covered t@b's fare during New England winter's, anyone know? Are there heavier duty winter covers out there?

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Paha Que's cover in The Teardrop Shop is the heaviest cover I have seen. All of the fabric samples of cover material at Camping World are of a lightweight fabric. I had my 4-wide covered with a Paha Que cover and it survived two hail storms and numerous thunderstorms, while keeping the 4-wide dry. I kept it inside in the winter, so I can't vouch for heavy Midwest snow. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Jo_chrisJo_chris Member Posts: 21
    We used the Paha Que cover this past winter on our new T@b and it was great, however we did have a mild winter. Good quality, worth the money, also the zippered door provides easy access to inside. I just wish it also covered the tongue.
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Good to know, Verna and Jo Chris.  As with us in CT, the last winter saw about 5 total snow falls, none of them significant. Used the snowblower one time. The previous winter, was the complete opposite; snowfall every week, it seemed, from November through March. Used the snowblower weekly. These are the kind of winter's that concern me with storing the t@b outside.

From reading about the Paha Que cover, it appears to do the job just fine. It is on the list of 'must-haves'.

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think I am going to go with the RPod cover because extra roomie-ness of it. I have the larger front bin/battery box and vent cover. The DC Metro area got hit with a couple of big snows (for us) and the yakima rack/spare tire acted like a snow dam. My T@B wasn't covered last winter. Believe that is going to change!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)