Options

Tail light trim ring removal

We went out this morning to load up our 2021 T@B 320 for a 10-day trip and discovered a puddle of water on the floor. It had rained last night but the windows and vent were closed securely. Tracing the water indicated that water had come in under the curved plastic floor panel behind the seats, under the Alde and onto the floor. Several posts describe the tail lights (and brake lights?) as the probable source of leaks. One post describes removing the chrome plastic trim ring on the large light by gently pressing on three tabs. I located what appear to be the tab locations with a thin plastic ruler and pushed to the point of risking breaking something. Pressing inward deflects the trim removal tool up under the ring and away from the mounting surface. I can barely see a black ring underneath the chrome ring but can't get anything underneath. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    burkeksburkeks Member Posts: 19
    There were some responses to this post that were posted while we were traveling. We got home yesterday and I planned to remove the lenses this morning but the comments are now gone. One in particular showed the location of the "plastic tabs" securing the lense. Is there any way to recover the post responses?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited September 2022
    @burkeks - I don’t recall seeing any other posts in your thread.  Is it possible you saw another thread with your answer?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you Sharon. It is entirely possible I saw the picture in another post. The discussion link is for the older style lights that could be removed with two screws. My 2021 apparently pops on with plastic tabs which I haven't been able to release. I'll keep looking.
  • Options
    In case anyone else has this issue, the info. I was looking for from SeaLaVie is copied below. I'll give it another try tomorrow. 

Photos below.
    I was able to pop the silver trim ring off of the light fixture, then removed the light fixture to get a closer look at it.

The Silver Ring has small tabs that clip on to 3 spots on the LED light fixture itself.

The ring attaches with three tabs. There was a tab approximately at the top and the other two were at the 1/3 points around the fixture. I just used a screwdriver with some thin plastic to keep protect the camper trim from being scratched up. Thankfully the trim popped off without breaking.

The fixture itself was attached by three screws into the camper body. It appears to be a sealed unit that cannot be opened. It's not the same as some of the other models that use a post mounted LED board.

As you can see in the photo I could not find any identifying marks for the tail light manufacturer, part number, etc.

I'll have to search around or go through a nucamp dealer.