Options

Having a problem with my Echo brake controller…

CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
edited September 2022 in Trailer & Towing
It seemed to work fine with the APP set up for a while but lately it is very jerky when I stop and start and sometimes employ the brakes when going down a steep grade out here in Utah. Any thoughts?
2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Grabby brakes are a consistent theme with Curt controllers.
    A starting point is to confirm that your brakes are properly set up. Then, you will need to try and find an optimum setting to eliminate grab. 
    The topic of problematic Curt behavior has been discussed frequently on this forum. There are scads of work arounds employed by users including (not recommended) turning them off at low speeds. 
    If you search this site, you should find these threads will confirm your concerns but not necessarily solve the problem.
    Here is one such thread for you to read:Echo Brake Controller and Grabby Brakes Question (vanillacommunity.com)
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I notice that I have to adjust the settings every once in a while.  I usually do a couple test brakings before hitting any major roads.  Once I'm under way, I haven't had any problems, seems to be at start up for me.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    We initially had issues with the Curt Echo. After calling Curt help desk we have had no issues.

What we learned was the Curt device and the app must both have access to the phones location. Also, "location" must be turned on in the phone. This is not in the manual, but appears to be required. 

At stops, if I walk out of range for the Echo to talk to my phone, I turn everything off and pair again after returning.

No issues since. By the way, the help desk number is not in the text of the manual. It's in the footer at the bottom of the page. Good luck. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"