Options

2022 TAB 400 Boondocking Heat

What is the best way to keep warm while boondocking? Some kind of freestanding propane heat? Generator? Blankets?
We are new to this and learning. Sometimes the hard way!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The Alde boiler will heat the trailer cabin via battery and propane.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Yes, what @Sharon_is_SAM says.  The Alde will keep you toasty warm when those temps dip.  I leave mine set at 62, and it kicks in as necessary.  Be sure to select propane on your keypad.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    musicmanmusicman Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the answers. That is very good news. We got very little info/instructions from the dealer that sold it to us. 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited September 2022
    @musicman the alde heat/hot water system is a convection type unit. Heated glycol fluid is circulated through and under the trailer. There is no forced air. You will not hear a furnace or fan running and it is slower to warm your space up, but we survived -10°F while stranded in Evanston, Wyoming in November with vehicle trouble. The Alde definitely kept us from freezing. But don't wait until it gets cold to try to figure it out or try to use it. You should have a manual or packet of paperwork from the dealer. Locate the Alde manual and read it. Practice using it before you are cold so you know what to before you need to.

Many of us have driveway camped or backyard camped. Park your t@b in the driveway. Practice using the t@b's systems, electrical, plumbing, heating etc. Make yourself familiar with how your trailer functions. Then go out and enjoy yourself while enjoying your remarkable t@b trailer.

Btw, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer. Happy t@bbing.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    musicmanmusicman Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the info and the welcome! It is a bit overwhelming trying to figure out how things work and what to do and what NOT to do. 
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Yes, I agree - it can be overwhelming, particularly for a first time RVer like me.  After all, we own a tiny house on wheels (my property taxes are $12 a year, and I can tow her anywhere I like!!).  This group is invaluable and so patient, answering the same questions over and over, graciously sharing their wisdom and guidance.  In fact, this group was one of the deciding factors when choosing to buy my T@b 400.  I feel like I have my own customer service team on call.

One of the things I did my first winter was to spend those cold MN evenings in front of the fireplace reading through old posts.  I learned so much and picked up nuggets of info along the way.

Keep asking questions, and enjoy your learning adventure.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    The Alde is the most amazing RV heater I’ve ever experienced.  Quiet, even, consistent heat and very little battery drain.  It’s hard to imagine going back to a fan forced propane furnace that sounds like you are sleeping with a blow dryer!
  • Options
    StepheninDenStepheninDen Member Posts: 29
    Disclaimers: I’ve only had my T@B 2 years and I’ve got a 2014 still with the analog Alde controls (actual switches that I love!!). On a cold night after putting out the campfire, I literally grin every time I step into my warm camper! No longer a problem with the newer models but in my 2014 CS-S the DC fuses are prone to blowing and I had a couple of shivering nights early on wondering what went wrong. So I know the learning curve you’re talking about. It doesn’t hurt to have a sleeping bag on hand just in case!!

One thing I learned from this community is that the Alde heats up a lot faster on propane (as @marleecamps suggested) than on shore power only. I find it only takes an hour for my 320 CS-S to get to comfortable temp with the Alde set to propane but can take a few hours on shore power alone. Either can maintain temp easily once it gets warm but good to know depending what time you pull into camp.

Dont know what altitude you’re at but above 3/4k feet (I’m in Denver and regularly boondock above 8k) the new models have a high altitude mode on the Alde that will keep it from vibrating and sounding like an idling 18 wheeler. Mine doesn’t have it so don’t know the details but you can check the past threads for how to turn it on if you need it. 

I know it’s a lot to absorb but it is a wonderful feeling once you make that T@B yours and start to understand how it ticks!! Enjoy!!