Options

T@B 400 (2021) - Upholstered panels around stargazer

A few of the screws that hold the upholstered panels around the stargazer have come loose and I'd like to come up with a fix that saves it from happening again. I'm planning on putting an anchor that might be used in drywall to hold the two screws that have pulled out, but can imagine this happening again, given the thinness of the wallboard. I intend to use an anchor similar to that shown, just cutting it's length so as to know mess with the wall too much rather than messing with fixing the hole with toothpicks or other similar hacks.

I've thought about putting some small velcro strips on the wall and panel at critical places before putting the panels back up. Any opinions on this approach? 

2021 400 BD
2018 Ford F150 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2022
    Anchors like this are designed for plaster and thick wall board situations, whilst mounting small items.  You have around 1” of space behind the area around the Stargazer window, thin interior panel and foam installation.  All of the holding pressure is on the thin wall panel.  A small 3/4-1” wallboard anchor might give you the grip you need, but will require drilling a larger hole to insert the anchor.  I think filling the hole and redrilling would work better.
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 72
    The wall panel is only about 1/8” to 3/16” thick. Like Denny16, I doubt the plastic inserts will hold. I have had good luck with a dual approach (2018 400). First, I filled stripped holes, packing in epoxy putty (JB Weld is one example), which thickened the backing behind the screw snap fittings. Then I drilled new holes, smaller than the screw snaps. Second, I ordered extra cloth-covered screw snaps from my dealer and added additional ones on the panels in problem areas, to spread the load.
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    vhollow said:
    The wall panel is only about 1/8” to 3/16” thick. Like Denny16, I doubt the plastic inserts will hold. I have had good luck with a dual approach (2018 400). First, I filled stripped holes, packing in epoxy putty (JB Weld is one example), which thickened the backing behind the screw snap fittings. Then I drilled new holes, smaller than the screw snaps. Second, I ordered extra cloth-covered screw snaps from my dealer and added additional ones on the panels in problem areas, to spread the load.

Seems reasonable. I'll try some JB Weld. I'm trying to get some additional screw snaps, but no luck yet with NuCamp or the dealer. 
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,027
    We’re on a trip right now and I noticed one screw had stripped. I simply removed it, placed it about 1 inch below where it use to be and with some pressure on the screw driver it screwed it nice and tight. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 88
    @LonesomeRoad
    We had two of those screws pop out at the stargazer, lower left, on our 2021 400.  We used plastic anchors as you proposed in the existing holes.  It's  only been 2 months, but they are holding so far.
    Doubt it's a long-term solution though, so your velcro thought is also a good idea.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    Had the same issue. Ended up using the toothpick and glue method with super glue. Over a year later and it seems to be holding up. Happened on multiple holes.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    I've ordered some additional screws and fabric caps from NuCamp and will:
    1) Use shortened anchors with some adhesive in the stripped holes
    2) Add at least one additional screw and cap on each side near the areas with the stripped holes
    3) Use a few pieces of velcro to deal with the bouncing around experienced during towing.

Thanks for the ideas. Just hoping the aluminum-framed stargazer shade that replaces the plastic one performs  better at keeping bugs out!
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    One thing to be aware of (if you aren't already) is don't use command strips if you store your trailer in hot weather. Most of the command strips I've used have deteriorated from the heat and failed. If you use velcro try and find some that is backed with 3M VHB tape as that seems to hold the best under extreme heat. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road