Options

Fresh and grey water

Just bought a 2021 Tab 320 cs-s and am a beginner RV'er.  I plan to use it off and on through October, then winterize.  Question;  should I drain fresh and grey water after every camp session?  I live in Gunnison, Colorado and it will be in the low 30's at night and 50-60's during day.

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    As long as the temperatures remain above freezing, you are fine. There are other factors, including how long the temp drops and wind to consider too.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 985
    edited September 2022
    First off welcome to the world of T@bs!  You're going to love it. 

You absolutely want to drain your gray and black after each trip.  Or just the gray in your case.  You do not want stuff growing in your tanks.  I also think it is a good idea to drain the fresh after each trip as well for similar reasons.  After each trip I drain all tanks, the Alde hot water and all the plumbing lines.  It is simple and only takes a couple of minutes.  It is part of my pack up procedure when leaving camp.  Do that and you will be fine even with temps dropping into the low 30s.  We are in Leadville and have already had temps dip into the high 20s. 

If it is scheduled to get to freezing or below overnight and I have not winterized I usually turn on the Alde heat on 50 or so degrees to have some heat circulating through the walls of the trailer.  When we had it dip to 25 one night I poured a little antifreeze into the tanks and got it into the gate valves of the gray and black tanks, only gray in your case, as those are more prone to freeze damage than probably anything else on the trailer.  After our trip starting today I will most likely winterize next week when we get home and just dry camp for the remainder of our season.  That may be October or November depending on when the snow shows up!
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    DanaDana Member Posts: 46
    Thankyou Brad and Bergger!  That was very helpful
    Dana
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Drain every single time unless you’re going right back out within a day or two. Nasty, smelly bacteria can grow in there, and cleaning that out is a chore that can be avoided by simply emptying the tanks consistently. You still want to sanitize the system at least once a season, but that takes less bleach and less rinsing than having to deep clean out the sulfur smell that develops with bacterial overgrowth.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    DanaDana Member Posts: 46