Options

SERIOUSLY??? Another Broken Grey Tank Drain???

So the last trip I was on, I was washing dishes in the kitchen sink and started hearing a leak. It was from outside right at the tire behind the bathroom. At first I thought it was a hole on the grey tank since it was outside of the camper. After about an hour of trying to figure it out, I came to the conclusion that it must be from where the kitchen sink drains into the grey tank. 

Ive had an issue similar to this before and it was where the shower drain dumps into the grey tank. The attachment to the grey tank had broken and not all the water was getting into the tank. The water that wasn't getting in was running down on top of the grey tank to the lowest part of the camper, which was at that wheel behind the bathroom. I made a post about the repair here:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14507/solved-and-fixed-please-help-plumbing-broke-on-shower-drain/p1

So surely this couldn't have happened AGAIN with the kitchen sink, could it???

Yup...

The exact same issue but a much longer and harder process to repair...
2019 T@B 400
2014 VW Touareg TDI 

Comments

• Options
    OinfrontOinfront Member Posts: 37
    Taking apart the cabinet to access the plumbing was tedious. 
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I had to cut the pipe into two pieces due to there was no way to remove the top shelf without messing with the Alde pipe. Not sure why they made it so it cant be removed.

Then when buying all the ABS pipe, I decided to use a rubber coupler to attach the 2 longer pieces together in the back. 1. Because the only way to fit it was to have 2 pieces and 2. I figured the rubber coupler would allow the pipe to move during stress. 

I can believe that is the only reason that these pieces are snapping. They have to be under a lot of stress during towing I guess. 

So Anyway I got the job done. Took a whole day. I know my camper a lot more intimately now. There were a few hiccups along the way getting the pipe all together, but hopefully this will help anyone that may experience the same thing. 

Craziness lol 
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    edited September 2022
    Nice job ! Obviously if you're handy you can fix design flaws but if somebody has to rely on the dealer.... :|
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Nice work! I wonder if you have some movement of your gray tank independent of the plumbing and everything it’s attached to? Have you checked if the tank itself moves at all in its support bracket?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @Grumpy_G absolutely, the two plumbing repairs Ive done would have been pretty expensive if I needed to rely on a dealer. Not to mention time involved and missing out on trips planned. I always do my own repairs if possible. I also really like to know my camper inside and out. 

@manyman297  Agreed. I haven't taken the bottom layer to expose the grey tank to see, but there has to be movement and that is likely part if not the full cause of the break. 

Ill update if I figure that out
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2022
    That would be my thought also, since you had both drains fail, it has to be down to tank movement causing the drain connections to break or come loose.  Our 2018 TaB400 has 4,000 miles on it, most of which is down back roads and unpacked tracks, so lots of movement in the trailer, and we have not had any issues with drains coming out or loose. 

The original SoCal dealer did take this trailer to Burning Man back in 2018, which did reveal a large gap in the floor around the fresh water tank connections, but going down the desert unpacked tracks, and poorly paved back roads there, nothing else broke or failed.  This was quite a shakedown cruise!
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Just wanted to update. I took a look at the grey tank today. I checked all 6 bolts holding the tank to the frame and all 6 were tight & secure. 

So now I dont know what to think about it. Ill just need to keep an eye on both the kitchen area and the shower area and keep my fingers crossed I guess.  🤷‍♂️
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @Oinfront, now that you have the experience, if you had to do it again would you consider cutting the drainpipe section that lays on the floor just before the 90 turn into the tank?
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname, I had thought about that during the install. I had to cut the longer vertical pipe into 2 pieces due to the fact that I couldn't either remove or install 1 long piece because I couldn't remove the shelf. With the shelf there, the pipe is just too long to install or remove. So since I had to cut that pipe in half, I didn't want to have 2 sections with the rubber coupler. Im hoping that the vertical coupler will provide enough movement to prevent any future breaks. If there was a way not to have to cut the vertical pipe, I would have ended up doing what you are suggesting. Thats similar to what I did under the bathroom in my previous repair with this same issue. That Alde pipe really did prevent me from being able to make, what I think would be, a proper repair. I just didnt want to mess around with removing the Alde pipe and dealing with a possible gylcol flush from that. Every other pipe does not have wood completely surrounding it. Not sure why they have just the Alde pipe that way. I even considered cutting the shelf away from the back end of the Alde pipe so that I could remove it. I will definitely update this discussion if I end up having any issues in the future.
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I wonder if there's some movement on the Y axis (up and down) that might be causing the fittings to crack?

I'm convinced almost every cabinet moves independently at some junctions. My wardrobe cabinet has continually managed to back the screws out from the wall. I think I've finally fixed the issue by using larger screws and some lock-thread tape. 

So even if your kitchen lower cab seems secure there might be some movement when hitting bumps that causes it to shift just enough to stress that connection.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I have not had any issue with the galley and/or shower drain breaking.  Our 2018 TaB has been towed over desert washboard roads, dirt roads, and up and down coastal roads in NorCal, which would test the flexing of the fixtures.  No issues so far.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.