Options

Starlink for RV's

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
I just purchased a Starlink for RV's. I'm camping in Arizona and noticed a Starlink unit at another campsite.  Have not been able to connect with them, but will keep trying.  Anyone out there using one?
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    I've had one since May or so. It works like a charm so long as you're not under tree cover.
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I am considering the RV plan, but more for work, I currently use an Inmarsat Terminal and it works but is metered, when I actually use it, the costs end up being more than $135 a month.

My work use case may find me establishing satellite comms several times a day from different locations.

Can you share time to deploy, power up and get fully functional? The Starlink hardware is definitely less portable than my Inmarsat terminal, so a bit concerned about time to deploy.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Spoke with two campers with Starlink. Both raved about the system.  One even uses as her Internet source at home.  Both said the only downside is being in the trees.  However, both of their sites are in a heavily wooded area and were working just fine.
  • Options
    I'm in the process of returning my Starlink RV unit.  Upon further research, this unit is best for full-time RVer's.  I want to use it as my primary Internet at the house and be able to take it camping.  The RV unit will receive a poorer signal at the house because other homes in the area are given signal priority.  The good news is that one can add a "portability" option to the residential plan so that you can take it camping.  Just an FYI to those considering a purchase.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Tabaz THANKS so much for this info. Invaluable to us at the moment. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    @Tabaz  Is it much more expensive to add the portability option to your home unit vs using the RV unit as far as the monthly plan goes?
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    From what I have read, you need to buy the Mobil Starlink package (edit, same looking but different programming setup) to get the Mobile Plan.  
    Note: Not sure if you can add a Mobil plan to a residential setup. 
     See Tabaz comment below.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    You can add the portability option for $20 per month (in addition to the $110 base fee).  A good deal if you travel only part of the year.  There is no Mobile Starlink as far as I can tell.  The two units are the Residential and RV (they also have Business and Marine units).  They are programmed differently, so that's why I had to return my RV unit for the Residential.  Should get the new unit next week, so I'll let everyone know how it works out.
  • Options
    cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    I have a Starlink RV plan, but it's not my primary residence Internet.  I use it in the summer when I'm at fire camp and there's not another great way to get high speed data.  Trees are definitely an issue as is mounting on a T@B.  I bought a tall speaker stand with extension that gets me up about 12' in the air.  That helps.  Start to data time is under 10 minutes, and usually under 5.

My last understanding (terms change quickly) was that residential systems with portability turned on were still deprioritized when not in their home area.  Same as RV.  Residential wasn't available in my area, so RV it was.  I haven't had a huge challenge with speeds, even with a few other units showing up in camp.  I hear those at Burning Man or the NAA airport meet had some challenges, but only at prime time.  We'll see how Quartzite goes.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 295
    We purchased the Starlink with the RV plan and with my inverter installed this will be a welcome addition to our Tab 320