Options

Getting new brakes and brake drums Summer/2022

I took my trusty 2006 Dutchmen Thor T@B to get an inspection and something was definitely up with one of the wheels. The drivers side wheel wobbled in a way that it really wasn't supposed to last time I took it out. I suspected the bearing had gone and would need to be replaced. When my mechanic put it on the lift the whole tire slumped diagonally. Apparently the bearing not only went, the ball bearings blew out into the brakes and surrounding brake drum. My mechanic not knowing what he was in for tells me he'll get the parts. A week later he tells me he can't. So my search begins. I'm able to find most every part for ALKO 1637 trailer through various EU websites for trailer parts. No Problem. BIG HOLD UP was the brake drums. APPARENTLY, this size is no longer standard (FOR INSURANCE REASONS) in USA. So not only can NUCAMP dealers not get the brake drums, I personally can not buy them from any EU company as a US citizen. I ended up having to send my good friend who lives in Germany the money to buy the brake drums and have them personally shipped to me. After almost 2 months I finally brought all the parts down to my mechanic and they just called saying everything has been fixed up and is now in working order!! I'm picking it up in the morning:) What a trip! Just so you all know what you need to do to keep these classics alive! Keep on Space Truckin!!!

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2022
    You were not able to upgrade the trailer to the newer larger brake drums?  Glad you got it sorted and the TaB fixed.  
    I also had an issue trying to get a camping stove part from UK, no one should ship them part to the US, and this was a very small part, a flame diffuser!
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    KrakmanKrakman Member Posts: 2
    I didn’t realize that was an option… 🤷‍♂️ Anyways, it’s fixed and working great. Now to deal with water damage around the back hatch… Old trailers…