Cleaning tree sap off boondock flooring??

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
Just got home from Mount Rainier National Park and I guess I stepped in some tree sap because I have it all over the floor of my 2018 320S Boondock.  Any tips for cleaning the sap off the floor without damaging the flooring?   :s
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited September 2022
    The flooring brand in the Boondock for your model year is Marmoleum. Start with 50/50 vinegar and water, which is the most common recommendation for that flooring brand; if that doesn’t work, Google should have other options for you, including specialty cleaning products.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2022
    Since you have the  Marmoleum floor, which is a very tough commercial flooring, try in a small area first, using some woodworks saw blade pitch remover soap, or a good citrus based degreaser soap, both are good at removing pitch.  A light bit of scrubbing may be required with a fingernail type brush.  Rinse throughly and Bob’s your uncle... 
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    I have used Goo Gone on other vinyl flooring..not in my T@B.  It removes about anything without damaging the surface.  
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    I'm back to my suggestion of an alcohol based hand sanitizer gel.  It works great on exterior paint and I can't imagine it will hurt the floor.  Try it first on a non-obvious spot just to be certain.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried the vinegar method today, @VictoriaP.  It took away the stickiness, but I can still see where the sap is (was?).   I'll try rubbing alcohol tomorrow and see what happens.

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Goo Gone makes a variant to take sap off of car paint. I’ve used it and it works pretty well and I think it would be safe on the floor. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    rcuomo said:
    Goo Gone makes a variant to take sap off of car paint. I’ve used it and it works pretty well and I think it would be safe on the floor. 

I don't have any Goo Gone on hand.  If the rubbing alcohol doesn't work, I'll go get some.