Options

Alde Heating Pipes

With cooler temperatures upon us, we are going to be using the Alde System for the first time next weekend to provide heat in our 2022 320S.  We have used the Alde for Hot Water with great success, both electric and gas.  

We store our bedding under and behind the dinette seats, which is also where some of the Alde pipes run.  When I did a test run of the system in heating mode, the pipes got very hot to the touch.  Are these hot pipes a concern when storing bedding next to/on them?  Has anyone experienced any issues?  The conservative part of me says to keep everything away from the pipes... just to be safe.  I read both the nuCamp manual and the Alde 3020 manual and I do not find any caution or mention of this concern.   Thoughts?
Thank you!
Scott / 2019 T@B 400 "C@LYPSO" / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois

Comments

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Not something I would do, with concerns in those closed compartments about synthetics in the bedding melting, off-gassing, or possibly catching fire.  Even pure cotton will scorch or burn if it gets hot enough.

Yes, we also have a 2022 320s BD and there is little storage space.  We knew that going in and keep much of our clothing and food in storage containers in our pickup on long trips.  We use our bed in the twin configuation, and don't fool around with residential bedding.  It's a camper and we use sleeping bags.

Douglas
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Initially, I too was concerned about the warm hoses (I assume that's what you meant instead of metal pipes).  Then I noticed that the Alde bleeder value (the highest point on the unit) actually touches the underside of the rear driver side seat cushion fabric.  AND the bleeder valve is the hottest component of the Alde loop.  So I've learned to accept the fact that the hoses do not get so hot as to be a hazard.  But now I'm worried about this "off-gassing" issue Kottum mentioned.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 462
    We've the 2021 320S BD also and put our rolled up sleeping bags in back of the seats. There is a very convenient space for them. They get warm which is appreciated on pulling them out for the night. We do winter camping a lot, so this is very normal for us. I have not been concerned. We keep the rolls down enough that the slot in back of the shelf always allows airflow from the convectors under the shelf.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 142
    Thank you for the responses.  Seems to be a varied opinion among the group.

@tabaz - our 2022 T@B has piping not hoses that run through the camper.  The 90-degree bends are black hose, but otherwise the piping is maybe aluminum.

Thanks again for the responses.

Scott / 2019 T@B 400 "C@LYPSO" / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,611
    If the 2022 Alde tube/pipe routing is anything like earlier years Your sleeping Bags will not directly contact the hot[ter] sections other than maybe the top of the Alde unit.  And everything will be FINE.

Now in the morning after everyone is awake.  Lift the rear seat back into the recline position.  You will fell a much faster cabin temperature rise as the seat back does block some of the heating air flow
    = = IMHO = =
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 475
    So my recall from the service menu on the Alde is that the glycol temp maxes at around 160-170 degrees. Is that hot enough to melt nylon or polyester fabric? When I looked it up both have melting temperatures about twice that

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Correct, on our recent trip,out, I checked the Alde glycol temp, and it was 151 to 158 degrees F.  I believe ( from what our dealer tech said) the pipes are stainless steel in a 2018/2019.  Not sure about the TaB 320, or newer TaBs.  
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 309
    Do the temperatures get any higher that when you launder your fabrics in a clothes dryer?  I think you will be OK if you avoid direct contact.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2024 TaB 400 with all the option packages (full lithium), 
    2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,547
    @klenger - you have returned!  Tempted by the new 400 I see😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio