Options

Possible TAB 400 purchase

i am looking at two used TAB 400 campers, both are standard 400’s, no Boondock Lites. First a 2019 with a small RV dealer, who says bought from trade in dealer to not be a competition to new TAB’s?? Do not know a lot about as of yet on this one as to if kept under cover or garaged, says have new a/c unit in box as original not working properly, ? Damage, says none, everything supposed to work ?, Where it’s from?? Love color Lt grey sides with Red Trim. Second is 2018 model, original owner, always kept under cover an has complete Pahaque cover. No damage, has bike rack, sway bar, full cover, and awning.  Both are at same price point. 

Know that the prices have been coming down lately and just missed a 2020 400 Boondock Lite for just under $27K at a dealer no less?? Did not see or have much info on it. Also, know of a 2019, original owner, no extras, kept outside all its life. Ask is $25K. Just too far away from my position.

My question to the Forum is not price related, but what are the hidden surprises I should look for when looking at used 400’s? I know about bathroom fans, alde corrosion and if changed fluid in the 3 year timeframe, heat tubes bulging, and water stains under bed. Are there any other potential large issues to look for on these two model years——- A/C, Battery, propane hose change out, etc.

Thanks in advance,

jetman

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited October 2022
    @Jetman the 2018 was the first model year. Both it and the 2019 have higher tongue weights than later years. If you have a full sized pick up as a tow vehicle then it's probably not worth considering in the equation but if you have s tow vehicle with a max tongue weight rating of less than 500 lbs you might have to get another vehicle. Also, I believe those models have smaller propane/equipment covers on the front of the trailer which is minor but still something to take into account. Good luck with your choice.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    @Jetman, The 2018/2019 TaB 400s ( I have a Jan 2018 TaB400) tongue weight unloaded is not 500 lbs., mine was 400 lbs weighed, and another 2019 weighed was around 385 lbs. (Paul the AirForce man UTube).  Next, the 2018/2019 are almost the same, with the 2019 units having the additional Flo aux hot water heater added to the Alde, so more hot water for a shower.

Also 2019 models have two 6VDC batteries wired i series vs a single 12VDC battery, both of which provided around 200 to 225 amp.hrs of power.  Some later 2109 TaB400s have an option for a larger 3-way fridge, replacing the original wardrobe locker.  I would not opt for the larger 3-way, as many were problematic.  
    The 2020 TaB400 has an Air8 AC, replacing the original CoolCat AC/heat pump unit, and the Air8 had issues cooling the TaB400 in higher heat load areas, like the south east and south west, where summer temps are in the high 80s and 90sF.  
    The 2021 saw the axle shifted forward, and the CoolCat returned to replace the failed CoolCat AC.  Moving the axle forward help to compensate for the added weight of the CoolCat, reducing the tongue weight to around 350/360 lbs empty.  The tongue weight is only an issue if trying to tow a 400 with a marginal tow vehicle that has limited tongue weight capacity.  
    Personally, I prefer the original TaB400 of 2018/2019, with its large wardrobe locker and very efficient CoolCat AC.  I would not consider towing a TaB400 with a vehicle that isn’t rated for at least 600 lbs tongue weight snd 6,000 lbs max tow capacity.  Towing a TaB 400 with anything less than this is too close to having the TV maxed out, and not a safe situation here in North America.  
    The things to look out for on an older TaB400 is the washroom sink on the 2018/2019 is not very fast draining due to its small drain pipe.  The original single 224 Amp.Hr AGM battery was prone to early failure (ours was replaced after about 18 moths of use.  Not all 2018/2019 TaB400s had roof mounted solar, which is needed for extended Boondock (off grid) camping.  So I would look for a unit with the single 193-watt Sunflair solar and Victron MPPT controller, if you plan to camp off grid.
    The original TaB400s have the smaller ABS TaB front propane tub, which holds the propane tank and has room for a 5-gallon bucket.  This, however can be replaced by the newer, larger 2021 front aluminum tub, which is more practical.  Also the Boondock option was it offered until 2019, but, the non Boondock TaB400 can be upgraded to a Boondock Axle and wheels for around $995, plus two hours of labor (we had both done, the axle,and front tub).  Also the per 2021 TaB400s have a heavy dinette table, which makes switching to a bunk mode cumbersome, which can be rep,aced with the newer, lighter 2021/2022 table (again, which we did).
    Hope this helps, and good luck finding your TaB400.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Denny 16 I stand corrected and edited my post to reflect such.  -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I would second @Denny16 on the folding sink. They are not designed to drain well. We ended up removing ours in our 2019. We don’t miss it though and have more storage in bath now.

if it were me I would go with original owner unit. We bought ours used from original owner and have had no real surprises. 

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    No no worries @dragonsdofly, we all learn as we go along.
    Our Ta400 came from the factory without the washroom sink, an d this gives us a larger shower area with more elbow room.  In such a small camper, having two sinks seems a waste of space.  

If you need a washbasin in the toilet area, than get an enameled wash basin and make a folding bracket.  Use the washbasin with the shower hose, and dump it out afterwards (like in the galley sink).  Cleanup is easy and no second drain to deal with or try to keep clean.  
    For those that need the sink in the washroom, nüCamp’s approach on the 2023 TaB400 is nice, the sink is smaller (good for washing hands and brushing teeth), and more out of the way when showering.  As qhumberd pointed out, not to difficult to remove the small round folding sink on the 2018/2019 TaB400, and do something different…
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.