Options

Small Inverter Efficiency and Power Ports

I am using a small Bestek power inverter to run my laptop. The laptop power supply is rated at 90 watts on AC power. I calculated that it should pull an average of between 5 and 8 amps on 12v.

According to the smartshunt…
  • When I plug into the electrical infrastructure I wired myself with 6 gauge wire from the battery to a wiring panel and then to a power port, it pulls 8-14 amps.
  • When I plug into the original camper power port that uses 8 gauge wire from the battery into the camper, it uses 6-12 amps.

hmmm….. I wonder what the issue is?
  • bad power ports?
  • bad wiring panel?

I also wonder if a better inverter would get that consumption down closer to the expected-calculated-amperage numbers?

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    90 watts should be 7.14 amps at 12.6 volts, allowing another 20% for efficiency loss and it should be around 8.5 amps.

It could be a less than desirable connection with the plug in, or another connection point issue. Does anything get warm after it is in use for a while?

I don't know which model you have exactly, but it appears that most of these are a "modified sine wave" VS a "pure sine wave". 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC