Brake shoe adjusment

Hi folks.  We recently took our new (as of March 2022) 2021 Tab 320 Boondock on our first trip, a 4 night tour of Vermont.  Between the trip and just picking the unit up we're approaching the 1000 mile mark and I'm sure we've had 40 medium to hard brake stops.  The manual says the brake shoes need to be adjusted after this "break in " period.  Is this something I can do or is this really something I should take it to the dealer for.  Part of my problem is that the closest dealer from whom we bought the trailer had very poor customer service and we don't really trust them.  The next closest place is 3 1/2 hours away. Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Any good trailer repair service can adjust the TaB brakes, you do not need a nüCamp dealer to do it.  We use a local trailer repair shop, Thad it is a quick adjustment to have done, whilst you wait.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2022
    If you are comfortable with jacking up your trailer and getting underneath, you can do it yourself.  I followed this video on YouTube when I did mine.  But if you aren’t comfortable just take it to any trailer repair shop (not RV necessarily) and they can do it for you. https://youtu.be/9Tf1Bc526zE 

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 424
    Yes, this is something that you can do. This is one of many tasks that you may tackle yourself. 
    To adjust the brakes you will need to jack up one wheel at a time high enough so that you can spin it. Be sure to use the jacking points and be sure to also use a jack stand on the chance that your jack fails. I use a floor jack for this. I do not trust scissor or bottle jacks. 
    Once you have the wheel up, spin it slowly while noticing if it drags or spins freely. This is a point of reference for later.
    Next, remove the inspection plug from the back of the drum.
    Using a brake adjusting tool, turn the star adjuster a couple turns. Buy a proper brake adjusting tool at any auto parts. Resist the urge to use a screw driver.
    Turn the wheel. If it is too snug and will not turn, back the adjuster off a bit. Do this until the wheel turns freely but the there is a bit of scraping. Don't worry if it scrapes a bit. The pads will wear and take care of this.
    Here is a previous discussion about this. T@B Forum | nuCamp RV 

• EthanEthan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for all the information folks, you are much appreciated!  I think first time around I'll take it to a shop.  Too much to learn right now - I'll try this when I have other stuff under control.  I also should find a reliable repair shop near me for the future.  Thanks for the detailed instructions and references for when I do have time to do this on my own.  Happy travels!!