Options

Wiring Victron BMV Smart 712

Looking for info on wiring my BMV 712 to 2 lithium batteries wired parrall. The directions found here only show wired in series. (fig 12)  https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quick-Install-Guide-BMV-712.pdf.
They do show a 2 battery setup (fig 11) But these batteries are not wired in parrall.
Has anyone wired the 712 to 2 batteriesso they can read the SOC on each battery seperately or do I just read the combined SOC ? If only reading the SOC of both batteries combined, I'm not which terminal to use for the + connections. I am assuming the - from battery for the Shunt to the  1 & Shunt B1&2 to the + from battery 2.
2021 T@b 320S Boondock 
TV - 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Retired aircraft mechanic from AA
2-3 several week trips per year & other trips we can squeeze inbetween our long trips.
Avid road bicycle rider. always carry a bike or 2 with us.

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2022
    Hi, If your batteries are wired in a parallel, they  will read the same voltage (they act as a single battery in regards to voltage).  I have two batteries in parallel and it reads the same voltage independant of which positive battery the shunt is wired to (actually just did this recently).  You can verify with  a multimeter.  The shunt does not read each battery seperately if wired in parallel correctly.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2022
    The positive wire is to just power the monitor somit can be connected to either positive terminal. The shunt wired on the negative terminal reads the voltage and power drain and SOC.  Normally two batteries worked in parallel are read as a combined bigger battery (adding the amp.hr. of each battery) whilst the voltage remains the same.  

So connect the shunt on the negative terminal where the load is connected, disconnecting the load from the battery and putting the load on the load side of the shut, with the battery negative connected to the other side of the shunt.  I added a temp sensor wire to my setup, to help with the solar charging, and networked the battery monitor with the solar controller on the Victron App. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DanSeesDanSees Member Posts: 49
    Thank you both for this info. 
    2021 T@b 320S Boondock 
    TV - 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Retired aircraft mechanic from AA
    2-3 several week trips per year & other trips we can squeeze inbetween our long trips.
    Avid road bicycle rider. always carry a bike or 2 with us.