Options

new owner, brakes?

GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
I bought a 2021 320s Boondock from a guy who had it about 6 months, rarely used it, no shower, no kitchen sink, no stove, etc. He actually knew very little about it, and I am having trouble finding info. So taking things one at a time... Does anyone use a Prodigy rf brake controller? My tow vehicle( 2019 Highlander) has controller wired in. Can I unplug the prodigy and use the Highlander controller, or disconnect power to Highlander controller and use the Prodigy rf controller? One way better than the other?
Thanks for the help. 

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    The Prodigy controller is not a standard T@b part. Assuming the prior owner didn't mutilate the stock 7-pin whip and connector, you can bypass the Prodigy box and plug in to your own vehicle's 7-pin port.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2022
    If you do want to use the Pordigy controller, just unplug the trailer’s 7-pint cable from it and plug that into your tow vehicle.  You can either secure the Pordigy cable, or remove the Prodigy all together.  Since you have a built in brake controller on the Highlander, you do not need the Prodigy unit.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @GregChris this is easy for you to do. If installed correctly, the t@b trailer's 7 pin connector is plugged into the rearward facing edge of the Prodigy box. (Box should be mounted on the driver's side of the tongue). Unplug it. Now you can stow the 7 pin connector that comes out of the front facing Prodigy box edge so it doesn't hang loose or drag and then plug the trailer's 7 pin, the one you unplugged from the back of the Prodigy box, directly into your tv's 7 pin connector. That's all you have to do to bypass the Prodigy RF system. If you'd like to clean up the Prodigy installation completely, you have to unscrew 4 self-tapping screws that hold the Prodigy box to the trailer frame. And violá. The Prodigy box comes completely off the frame, and you are back to the original set up.

Be sure to run a piece of sandpaper over the 4 holes in the frame to remove any metal burrs that may have developed as you don't want any abrasion on the trailer's original cable if it passes that area. A quick touch up with a rust preventative paint will keep that area of the frame looking good.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    GregChris said:
    . . . bought a 2021 320s Boondock from a guy who had it about 6 months,
    . . . no shower, no kitchen sink, no stove, etc.
    While others address your brake questions.
    I'm wondering about the year/condition of your trailer as I am not aware of nüCamp producing any yr-2021 units without a Shower (wet Bath), kitchen.

Did the first owned remove all that ? ?

Have you checked the trailer frame ID and Title for year built ? ?
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I think Greg may have meant, the owner he bought it from (original owner?) did not use the toilet, shower or galley (sink and stove).  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the input. I haven't climbed under it yet. If the 7 pin plug wire hasn't been shortened, I just remove the whole thing. It is a 2021 320 s boondock, maid in May of 2021. It does have a wet bath, the previous owner just never used it. I have several others inquiries, but since I'm winterizing/storing this week, I'll get to those over the winter. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @GregChris I am hoping that you mean you'll just remove the Prodigy RF setup. Not that you'll remove the trailer's 7 pin connector. Not knowing your level of expertise, I was very basic with instructions on how to remove the Prodigy. Sometimes, we assume that newbies have a level of experience that they do not, and it complicates things. This is really a very easy thing to handle. 

Good luck and much success with this and other projects. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    That is what I meant, I haven't been under there yet, so I don't know if the original cable/wire has been modified, I would assume not. The average installer in going to go to that much bother.
  • Options
    On most Prodigy installs, the trailer’s cable is just rolled and tied up against the tongue.  If it has been shortened, extension cables with a female 7-pin at one end and a male at the other are available.  https://userguideenginejames99.z21.web.core.windows.net/7-pin-trailer-wiring-extension.html
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks, I removed the prodigy unit completely. There was plenty of orig 7 pin cable to reach Highlander. Now to sell prodigy, or keep it incase I change tow vehicles in the future?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Glad you got it sorted.  Keeping or selling is a tricky question to sort out.  I used to keep parts I removed from boats and vehicles, thinking I could put them back on if I sell. Most of the time, the vehicle sold and I didn’t include the removed bit.  Now I have a storage unit full of stuff I am never going to use… 
     Cheers