Options

Alde expansion tank level

How can I determine the glycol fluid level in the Alde expansion tank relative to the minimum and maximum marks in my 2018 320S?  Can't see the side of the tank.  Tried to take photo of the side of the tank with iPhone without success.  I expect there is an obvious answer to this but I've not figured it out.
2018 T@B 320S

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    :):)
    Yep, use a flashlight . . . remove the cap, shine flashlight down the filler hole . . . level will be easy to see.

You might also consider using a black marker to highlight the min/max lines.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    jalars8jalars8 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks!  I had marked the min/max lines with black marker.  I will try the flashlight down the filler hole when I get back to the trailer where it is stored - having a heard time visualizing getting my head over in that space (they couldn't have put that tank in a tighter spot) to a place where I can look down inside the tank and see where the fluid level is relative to the marked lines but I take your word for it.  
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    jalars8 said:
    . . . (they couldn't have put that tank in a tighter spot) to a place where I can look down inside the tank and see where the fluid level is relative to the marked lines but I take your word for it.  

Fully understand . .  we all had to learn to live with it . . .
    On the Plus side - - ONCE you understand how the Alde System works you will love it!
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I mounted a mirror on the back wall to make viewing easier..

That's the minimum I would do, but I also added a built-in light/switch & peephole so I don't have to keep un/screwing around with removing the panel..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/172240#Comment_172240

Of course, I also darkened the "NIM/XAM" lines with a sharpee pen.  ;)
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Has anyone found a wifi glue-on external low level sensor for the Alde tank?  I want one...
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Is there a T@B mod genius around who can figure out how to use this inexpensive sensor to monitor glycol level?   I am definitely motivated but not smart enough...

Taidacent Non Contact Liquid Level Sensor Contactless Water Tank Water Level Sensor for Tank Water Level Control with Low and High Level Output https://a.co/d/ccWvxOD
  • Options
    Nice idea, @YanniLazarus, but in a trailer where the liquid is sloshing around and the actual glycol level is only changing slowly, I would guess that kind of sensor would give many false positive readings, while missing the actual event of the level moving below the low limit.  It would appear that the sensor depends on detection of motion & may not be sensitive enough for very slow motion.  Also, it may also require being turned off during any time while the trailer is being moved.  I question whether stabilizers would even stop the liquid level from moving.
    Nice idea though.  It works for tank sensors though, so maybe?
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    Nice idea, @YanniLazarus, but in a trailer where the liquid is sloshing around and the actual glycol level is only changing slowly, I would guess that kind of sensor would give many false positive readings, while missing the actual event of the level moving below the low limit.  It would appear that the sensor depends on detection of motion & may not be sensitive enough for very slow motion.  Also, it may also require being turned off during any time while the trailer is being moved.  I question whether stabilizers would even stop the liquid level from moving.
    Nice idea though.  It works for tank sensors though, so maybe?
    So make me the test case. Just tell me what to buy!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    A low tech approach might work. For brewing, I've added sight level tubes to my kettles. It shouldn't be too hard to apply this to an external tube to show glycol level. It's on my list, but need the motivation.

Sight Level Tube on HLT

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Yes, @AnOldUR, that could work!  The only issue I see, due to the low position of the tank, is finding a place to mount the tube where it's not obscured by a cushion/seat back.  It could work in our T@B, which has a double hinged seat back, which can be raised to the 45° position & then lifted from the bottom to see the wood cabinet/wall behind it.  I could see drilling a couple of small holes in that wall about 4 inches apart for a clear glycol tube to run out/in from the bottom/top of the tank.
  • Options
    DEPSTECH Dual Lens Wireless Endoscope, 1080P Scope Camera with 7 LED Lights, 0.31In Lens Video HD Inspection Camera, Zoom Waterproof Borescope Semi-Rigid Cable for Android & iOS Phone or Tablet-16.5FT

Something like this could be the winner! 
  • Options
    So, for 20 bucks I'm going to give a try to installing a borescope in "the great 320 Alde void."  I'll run the cable somewhere convenient so I can plug it into my cell phone when I want to check the glycol. It is both a light and a camera. 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @YanniLazarus Please let us all know how you like it. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    gulfarea said:
    @YanniLazarus Please let us all know how you like it. Art
    Will do.   I'm thinking of going live with the Alde Glycol Tank channel!  
  • Options

First image from my new glycol monitoring camera. Looking promising. Cheap and easy to use.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    @YanniLazarus,
    Your image looks good enough to do the job, but you might need to try again on marking the level lines. ;)  Also, you may need to turn down/off the camera light and install a light behind the tank to back-light & show the liquid level.
    PS:  Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will remove the marker ink, if you want to clean it up.
  • Options
    I know...embarrassing job on the marker. Thanks for the cleanup advice- on the list for if/ when this becomes permanent(ish). 

The perspective makes it hard to read, but you can see the glycol level just below the "high" line- it is parallel to that mark.   I resist putting in a light because the "big" idea was to keep this simple. I'm toying with running the cable up to one of the upper cabinets, but for now the whole installation deal is just a hole for the camera end.

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2022
    My approach was a little like @BrianZ and was as cheap. I got a black light flashlight because the Alde glycol Fluoresces and makes it easier to see the level. I drilled one hole to shine the flashlight in and one hole below in line with the Min/Max lines to view. Just shine the light and open the storage lid to see the level.

The level photo flipped, and I need to remark Min/Max lines.
    (Fixed by Moderator😉.)

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I am liking these "peep hole" ideas, but reluctant to drill large holes in my T@B.  I did a quick look at "peepholes" on Amazon, thinking they would offer a more finished look, but they are designed for doors and, therefore, likely too long for the compartment cover.

Wondering if anyone has come up with an alternative way to secure the compartment cover to make it easier to access rather than the existing screws.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    This is how mine normally looks, except the light on the little black switch is off when not in use.  The hole has a very soft silicone rubber plug that fits snugly but can be easily pulled out with two fingers..

• Options
    If I were judging these solutions, I would go with a first place to @BrianZ.  Nice concept. Beautifully executed. Easy to use and to read. I did refine/ clean up my lazy man entry so it is functional... but if I could easily trade solutions...

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Hey thanks, @YanniLazarus.  And whatever works for you!
    Nice lines, by the way!  ;)
  • Options
    My last comment on this subject, I promise!   To make 2020 320S model tank access easier I used some of my absolute favorite velcro-substitute tape to replace the "PITA" screws. 2" lengths top and bottom. If doing it again I'd use only 1" lengths - that would even be enough for secure fastening.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Great idea, @YanniLazarus, if it doesn't make the panel stick out too much.
    Same stuff that holds our EZpass device inside our car windshield, and it's made to allow repeated removal, as we do to share between 2 vehicles.  I think our locking tape is about 1.5" long.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @YanniLazarus -- thanks for your post.  I have been wondering if a velcro-like product would work for this!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I think Velcro would make a closer fit, but I wonder if it would be strong enough.  Seems like the velcro material itself should be strong enough, but the adhesive might need some help.  Heavy duty staple gun may do it.
  • Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    It is on my to-do list !
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • Options
    I toyed with routing out a recess for the Dual Lock tape, then figured I might as well try it the easy way first to see if the panel seemed held out to far by the tape thickness.   My call is it looks pretty darn good, especially in this out of the way corner. 
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    One of the main problems for me is not just being able to see the level but also easily add glycol to the expansion tank. Taking the side panel off seems like it’s just going to create a problem over time. Has anyone modified the side panel for easy on/off. Seem to remember seeing somewhere on newer T@Bs that the side panel had a routed “panel within the panel” with retainers you could turn and remove a smaller panel that allows you to both read the level and reach in and unscrew top and add glycol. Or maybe I just daydreamed it. 😎
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    As part of my "Back Shelf Rebuild..." mod I glued up a pvc funnel for adding glycol to my reservoir.  The funnel doesn't replace the cap, it's just a funnel I keep on board for topping off the glycol when needed.  I fashioned it from 1.5" pvc and a 45 degree elbow.  I did have to sand the short stub down just a bit to get it to fit into the neck of the tank.  Other pics showing the tip out cubby and reservoir tank light can be found in my "Back Shelf..." post ( Back Shelf Rebuild or Post Corrosion Fallout ).

DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4