Options

Alde Fluid Options

RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
In June 21 there was a post stating thar the Rhomar product was the only approved (by Alde) fluid for use in the system  The current edition of the Alde manual dated 2022-09 (date found on back cover) makes no mention of any specific product. The manual states “ Use only high quality ready- mixed glycol (with inhibitor) intended for aluminum heating systems.” There is no product spec references such as ASTM or other industry standards mentioned.
My 2018 Alde manual contains the following statement: “ Contact Alde for a list of approved glycol suppliers.” The 2022 manual does NOT include this statement. So there is some smoke and mirrors here.  The latest Alde manual seem pretty loose on what might be an acceptable product.
Has anyone a document where Alde ( not Nucamp or Airstream etc) approves, endorses, or recommends the Rhomar product ? 
Sorry if this is a rehash, but …
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2022
    The Alde unit is made in Sweden, and shipped all over the world.  The new manual is more general and generic, as the Alde is used in many different applications, and not specific to the North America market.  The glycol used in EU is different from what we use here in North America.  The Alde is distributed here by Truma/Alde.  Originally we used Century TF in nüCamp supplied Alde units.  This was replaced by Rhomar at Truma/Alde’s direction.  

It was Truma Alde that came up with the new Rhomar glycol for use in the Alde in the US to insure better protection for the Alde aluminum components.  Airstream and nüCamp are the major manufacturers using the Alde here in North America.  The new Alde units supplied by Truma/Alde need to use the Rhomar fluid I order to maintain their warranty here.  
    Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    To add to that, you can have your local nuCamp dealer drop ship to your location from the factory. It's about $30 / gallon.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Well, I ‘m still fussing with this problem. I’m in Canada and the dealer just told me he wants $90 (incl tax) per gallon for the Rhomar product. So $90 X 4 gal = $360 divide by 2,= $180 per year . 
    Now, the UK/Euro Alde product is marked G13, and the Alde literature goes on to state equivalent to VWAG TL-774-J (50:50). < alde.co.uk >. That spec is what you can get at any VW auto dealer, and at $41 (incl tax) here in Canada. So, $41 X 4 gal = $164 divide by 5 years = $33 per. A much better deal and a 5 year change cycle.
    If you chase G13 equivalents there are many on the market in US/CAN. 
    If Rhomar must be changed on a two year cycle then it is certainly must provide less protection than one rated for five years and especially if you change G13 on a two year cycle.

400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    So, you have the choice of:
    1.) Saving $196, but voiding your warranty and dealing with the potential consequences of a leak involving the toxic formulation used in the EU
    or
    2.) Spending $360, maintaining your warranty, and having a safer product to clean up/work with
    #1 seems pretty penny-wise but pound-foolish, in my opinion.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    @RCB, I'm curious which dealer you got your quote from?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Following- interesting observation and research by RCB especially since many auto cooling systems are aluminum and use corrosion inhibitors in their recommended coolant. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    To Maple Geek. The Rhomar quote was from Smithville RV. 
    Back to the alternative. The G13 has been updated by VW to ‘G12 eco’ (I think that is the correct designation) and is compatible with G13. I do understand that ethylene glycol is poisonous, but consider that there are more Alde units in Europe using it, and not to mention millions of autos. Ethylene glycol is a more efficient heat transfer liquid than polypropylene glycol.
    The only other possible caveat I can think of is that the RV standards my have something to say about the use of ethylene. This I have not researched.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I think in North America, RV Standards (RIVA) has a restriction.  That said, the Alde is heating your water!  So you want to use a safe glycol, in case their is a cross over leak. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Just to wrap this up, I will be changing to G13 antifreeze - same as that used in the UK and Europe. 
    Why? In my opinion: 1. It costs a whole lot less. 2., lasts for 5 years,  3. .Alde UK states it is the best product for the system  4. Alde/Truma does not see any problems using G13: 5. If ever an internal leak (there seems to be little if any experience with the system leaking internally) the water side is pressurized and the Alde fluid side is not. So any such leak would simply pass into the fluid chamber and dilute the antifreeze fluid. This info comes from Alde UK, and confirmed by Alde/Truma USA.
    Alde/Truma told me they must use a poly propylene type glycol to satisfy regulations as has been mentioned above. Ethylene products have a much stronger odour, so I think you will likely know in short order if there was ever a leak.
    If anyone else is thinking of going down this road - please do your own due diligence.

400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON