Options

AM reception?

Hi folks,

Our 2009 DM came to us w/out an antenna screwed on to the base. Reception on the Jensen stereo was pretty mediocre but I figured it would improve once I attached a new antenna. I just did so and while the FM reception got a bit better I still get no AM reception at all (and it is critical for listening to baseball games!). I know I am in range because I get good reception on the TV radio. I've checked to make sure the antenna is connected to the back of the radio head unit itself. Any ideas? Anyone done something to improve reception on older T@Bs?

Thanks!
Ben
Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think that antenna is an FM antenna. I think it probably connects via coax to the back of the Jenson.  higher quality external antenna would probably do the trick.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Will2015Will2015 Member Posts: 9
    Glad you brought this up. I have a 2015 Max S with a Jensen stereo and I have noticed the same problem trying to tune in baseball on the AM channel. Let me know if you figure out a solution. 

Put it on my T@B
  • Options
    BentrBentr Member Posts: 58
    Will2015, sorry to hear you are having the same problem (and maybe relieved I'm not insane). I'll certainly post if I find a solution. Jenn, I'm not sure whether the external antenna is FM only or FM/AM combined but the Jensen only has a single antenna-out cable coming out the back so I'm guessing that it ought to be the latter. I'm going to check the ground connection when I get a chance to see if that might be the source of AM interference. If that doesn't work I might try a powered antenna but those seem to get mixed reviews as to their effectiveness. 
    Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Could your Jensen have an internal AM antenna? Just a thought.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Not sure but I doubt it. I think car stereos can't use internal antenna because the metal car body would act as a shield against reception. 
  • Options
    Update: The problem appears to be electrical interference from the power converter. I found that if I disconnected from shore power (or just flipped the breakers in the T@B) the am reception improved dramatically. ome Googling suggests that this is a common RV problem but I couldn't find an obvious or easy solution (other than disconnecting when I want to listen to baseball). Makes me wonder if the newer LG models have this same problem and/or if a different radio might be less susceptible. Anyone with a newer T@B tried using AM while connected to 110v power?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Bentr said:
    Update: The problem appears to be electrical interference from the power converter. I found that if I disconnected from shore power (or just flipped the breakers in the T@B) the am reception improved dramatically. ome Googling suggests that this is a common RV problem but I couldn't find an obvious or easy solution (other than disconnecting when I want to listen to baseball). Makes me wonder if the newer LG models have this same problem and/or if a different radio might be less susceptible. Anyone with a newer T@B tried using AM while connected to 110v power?
    Bentr, there is a post somewhere with a part number on Amazon of an noise/interference filter that works on the Jenson. I can't remember the actual name of it. Do a search for Jenson and I'm sure you'll find the part. I bought one, but haven't installed it yet... too many things on the Verna-do list right now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    In one of those posts Verna is referring to, I recall someone tracing the interference to the wiring that runs in the cabinets across the front - same cabinets the Jensen is mounted in. Hence the filter.
  • Options
    Thanks Verna. I found the post with a link to the ground loop noise filter on Amazon. Looking at the pictures though, I have a hard time understanding how this would fix the problem. It appears that this is designed to sit between a power amplifier and the radio. My Jensen doesn't have a power amp so I can't figure out how I would connect this. This might be a good lead though as their might be another similar product designed to sit between the radio and the power source. Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks PXLated, I hadn't seen those posts and the magnetic noise suppressor looks much more promising. I'll give that a try. Thanks!