Atwood CO/LP Gas Alarm End of Life

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
edited November 2022 in Tips & Tricks
I just noticed my Atwood Propane/Gas detector had all lights blinking and is emitting two beeps every 40 seconds or so.  This seemed unusual because the propane bottle is closed and there is plenty of air movement in the cabin.  Found the manual online:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1224342/Atwood-Lpco.html#manual

Page 11 states the following:

End of Life Mode
The Detector will operate in end-of-life mode after the Detector has been powered
for 7 years +/- 128 days. This represents the operating life of the sensors used to
detect CO and LP gas.
After 7 years, the sensors are no longer reliable and the Detector must be replaced.
Once end-of-life mode has been entered, it is permanent, even after a power out
cycle.

My T@B build date is August 2015 (don't know the manufactured date of the Atwood).  Time for a new detector.  Brand new on eBay for $79.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 983
    Let us know how easy or difficult the replacement install is.  Hopefully the former!
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    I moved mine when putting the Lagun mount onto the lower seat panel. It was very easy to snip the wires and reattach in the new location. Replacing it should not be difficult.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    I had to replace our stock sensor even though it wasn't near its expected life (2021 320S).  We sleep in the twin bed setup and my head is right by the sensor.  Last summer the thing started going off at random times (like 2:00 am, 3:00 am, 4:00 am) and man, that thing makes a racket!! Talk about a rude awakening!!  We were on a 2 week trip and I just clipped one wire to shut the thing up so we could get some sleep.  It was summer and we weren't using the propane for heat so I was fairly comfortable doing that to get by in the short term.

I replaced it with an "RV Safe" brand detector and the footprint was the same.  Very easy replacement - clip the 2 wires and join them back up to the new one.  Now I can get a good night's sleep. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2022
    Thanks for the heads-up @Tabaz .  We've been through this with a CO/propane detector in our family room where we have a gas fireplace.  Right on schedule, it went into the unstopable periodic chime at the lifespan limit.  For anyone relocating their detector, make sure you place it close to the floor (NOT close to the ceiling like a smoke alarm, which rises due to heat), as these molecules are heavier than air.
    Looks like we may be due for replacement in about a year or so.
    PS:  This safety feature is especially important to me since I lost my sense of smell about 7 years ago.  Our outdoor grill had been leaking propane (switch got turned on by accident), and 4 other people smelled the gas odorant, but I could not.  So, for me it's now like CO - odorless.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    BrianZ - This is such an important safety device.  I'm thankful the Atwood unit provided an unequivocal warning that the sensors were no longer operative.  Kudos to them for incorporating this fail-safe feature in their product.  For those with units seven years old, be proactive and replace your CO/LP detectors now. 
    WayneW - please provide the link for your replacement detector assuming the cost is less than $79 available on eBay.
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    Here is the link to the CO/LP detector that I bought to replace the Atwood. Currently $59 w free shipping. Be careful when looking because you often run into a detector that looks the same but only detects CO. Amazon currently has the CO-only model for about the same price as this one which is the carbon monoxide and propane model. 

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Bergger - VERY simple replacement.  In my case, the two red wires are connected as one because there is no additional battery back-up from the factory.  Took all of 10 minutes from start to finish.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 983
    Good to know!
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    edited December 2022
    Here is another option that I installed last June. $83.00 at Home Depot. The mounting screws are in a slightly different location. Otherwise, it's a direct replacement and fit in the original cutout. I did not get another Atwood as another thread here found that either the CO or LP detection did not work. I could not find the thread to reference.

MTI Industries 45-742 Series Safe-T-Alert Dual Carbon Monoxide/Propane Alarm in White
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA