Options

Below freezing travel

We will be taking a trip shortly that will start out during below freezing temperature (subteen to mid twenties) for first two days. The 2020 trailer is winterized.  We will be using the Alde heat at nite. After two days we’ll be in warmer climes.

My question is about the 3-way fridge.  I am assuming the inside temp of the trailer will be equivalent to outside temps during travel. How will the fridge react to this?  If we don’t power the fridge at all, will the inside of the fridge also reach subfreezing temps?  Or does powering the fridge (12v) and setting a temperature do anything to keep food from freezing?

I’m assuming the best plan is to not power the fridge and to not put food into it that would be harmed by freezing.  We tend to load a weeks worth of prepared food n the fridge, but  might need to rethink that.

People tend to worry about the food getting too warm; this is about food getting too cold and wasting battery power.
2020 T@B 320 BD u / Toyota 4-runner / Whitefish MT

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The fridge is insulated somewhat, try putting a thermometer inside the fridge, with it turned off, and another thermometer inside the cabin, and wait 24 hrs, then check the temperature difference between the inside of the fridge and the outside temp.  This will give you an idea of what the fridge’s inside temp will be during the colder outdoor temps of your trip.  Most prepared foods can deal with short exposure to low temps, dairy and fruit products will need to be kept above 40F.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    You can also place jugs of cool water in the fridge to give it some thermal mass to stabilize the temperature for a longer period of time.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA