Options

Winter Storage

Hello Tab 320S Boondock People - - I recently purchased a 2023 Tab 320S Boondock package - it is fully winterized - is there any reason to not have it connected to power for the winter ?  I can hook it up to power at my house.   Any recommendations? 

Comments

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I run power to mine but un- hook when lightning is around. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I have ours powered continually.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    We had ours plugged in continually to 15 amp household current from May 2016 to December 2021, except while traveling. While it is still wintering in our backyard, we are full timing in a 30' Keystone Laredo and are in Tucson, AZ (December, 2022). It was not only unfair to expect our house sitter to monitor our t@b, but seemed risky to us to do so, and we unplugged and switched off the battery when we covered it and left Michigan in November. We will say hello again to our t@b sometime in the summer of 2023. So far, nothing has gone wrong in that entire period of time, so I would say to plug it in, but the choice is entirely yours.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    We keep ours covered and plugged in as well.  It is continually so cold where we live the solar charger usually turns itself off anyway so keeping it plugged in is the only way to keep them charged up without actually removing them from the trailer and keeping them on a charger.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @bparisi2 - don’t forget to use a surge protector!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Sharon_is_SAM sorry for not mentioning that. For those of us who have been doing this for a while it is a given. For NEWBIES, not so much and I am remiss. Good catch!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DanSeesDanSees Member Posts: 49
    One precaution I can suggest & I am no expert here. If you have lithium batteries & expect to leave the camper unused for more than a month, it is recommended that you store the batteries in a warm place ( above 34'F ) And store at 40-60% state of charge. If more than 6 months you should run them through a full charging cycle to 100%  each 6 months. 
    2021 T@b 320S Boondock 
    TV - 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Retired aircraft mechanic from AA
    2-3 several week trips per year & other trips we can squeeze inbetween our long trips.
    Avid road bicycle rider. always carry a bike or 2 with us.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2022
    LiFePO4 batteries can be stored and discharged below freezing.  They just can't be charged below freezing.  If the battery doesn't have a smart BMS that monitors temperature to enable charging, then disabling all charging modes is required if you intend to store below freezing.  

As @DanSees mentions, storing at around 50% state of charge and cycling after long periods are good to improve the longevity of the battery.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2022
    DanSees said:
     And store at 40-60% state of charge. If more than 6 months you should run them through a full charging cycle to 100%  each 6 months. 
    Hi,  Is there a method to discharge them or do you just turn on  loads and  run them down?

Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    DanaDana Member Posts: 46
    I pull my batteries and keep them on a trickle charger in my garage.  Flip flop each one, once a month
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    DanSees said:
     And store at 40-60% state of charge. If more than 6 months you should run them through a full charging cycle to 100%  each 6 months. 
    Hi,  Is there a method to discharge them or do you just turn on  loads and  run them down?

Thank you
    Just turn on loads.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA