Traded our Fifth Wheel for a Tab 400

bdunningbdunning Member Posts: 11
edited December 2022 in Introductions
This is my first post here. After years of research and considering all the pros and cons, my wife and I finally decided to trade our Grand Designs 230RL fifth wheel for a Tab 400. Originally we owned a pop-up tent trailer, then graduated to a 19' travel trailer, then on to a couple of fifth wheels but we wanted to simplify our lives and do more travel camping vs cottage-type camping that we have been doing for some time now.
Has anyone else downsized from a fifth wheel to a tab? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited December 2022
    @bdunning, welcome to the forum!  You will learn a lot, and probably get to share your own experiences as well.

We downsized from a 5th wheel to a 320 S and have been very happy that we did.  We spend the majority of our time outside, so although it is always nice to have more space, we didn't need it.  The trouble with "more space" is that you tend to carry more stuff that you really don't need.  That's what our experience was.  We find we have everything we need in a smaller package.  What we really like is that we can stop quickly or easily make a U-turn to go back and see something interesting we just passed.  Plus, it is so much easier to back up, especially if you get in a jamb.  Can't do that with a 5th wheel.  Also, you will find that you can stay in a whole lot more places and boondock at more locations if you like to do that.  Have fun! 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 360
    Welcome to the family and happy trails!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    @bdunning Welcome to the family.  You will absolutely love your T@b and if you have any question about it, not doubt it will be answered right here.
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,913
    @bdunning congratulations on your trailer and welcome to the forum. Pics or it didn't happen. When you get the chance, post a picture of your nüCamp baby. We know proud owners love to show them off and we love to see your rig.  Good folks here, great information and kindred spirit. Adventures await. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 265
    @bdunning We upsized just recently from a Tab 320 to a 400. I am looking forward to being able to stand up both in the kitchen area and the bathroom.
    Thanks for all your comments. It is good to be part of this welcoming community. We took quite a few photos when we first saw our unit but most of them were for purposes of planning how we will use it and what mods we might make but I do have a few from inside the shop. These are not exactly picturesque but the unit is beautiful, and especially my lovely wife. :)
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,913
    @bdunning nice rig, including the wife! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2022
    Nice looking setup (including the spouse), is the TaB a 2022 or the new 2023?
    Welcome aboard and safe travels…
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • bdunningbdunning Member Posts: 11
    Denny16 - It's a 2023 and arrived on the lot a day before we saw it. We don't take possession until May but really can't use it until then anyhow.
  • A_boondock_ownerA_boondock_owner Member Posts: 11
    Welcome! We recently did the same "graduation" as you did, although the first RV we owned (before the GD 230RL like yours) was a 2015 320S "Little Guy" that we pulled with a Subaru Outback 3.6R. We just wanted to stand up in the "bedroom" but had exactly the same issues with all that elbow room getting crammed with stuff we used only occasionally. So back to the T@B, this time a 2018 boondock, this time starting to look around for an EUV to pull it! Right now looking hard at the VW ID.4 AWD, which comes with the hitch already installed, an A/C outlet for total emergencies. If we go with that it will likely get 50-60 eMPG pulling the feather-light 320. I know the 400 is enough heavier you may need something like the F150 Lightning in order to go EV with the TV :s

NuCamp still offers very superior construction and intelligent engineering, although I have nothing too bad to say about the Reflection 5th Wheel, just a bunch of minor issues and a *lot* more maintenance than the 2015 320S. If you live as far north as we do (October in E. Oregon one time saw 8 F temps in our tab), you'll appreciate just parking it in a garage slot if you're lucky enough to own one, and if not, winterizing takes about 1/3 the time of the Reflection. Have fun with your new trailer, and welcome aboard!
    --Alex/Sally
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    It's not so much the heavier weight of the NuCamp 400 that makes it a more difficult pull going along fairly level terrain, it's more about the increased frontal area.  The 400 is about 1 foot wider and 1 foot taller (and about 1000 lbs heavier) than the 320.  The greater wind resistance can be significantly reduced with a 10 mph reduction in towing speed.  

As for weight, an electric vehicle with it's consistent torque through the rpm range will nicely handle the hills, and when you are on level terrain the extra weight should have little effect.

I look forward to towing our NuCamp 320 with a reasonably priced EV and decent range.  I would like to see a report using the VW ID.4 AWD.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona