Options

How NOT(?) to connect an external solar system (just for entertainment)

BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
I saw this RV in a parking lot the other day and just had to share it with others on the forum.  I've never seen anything like it, but it is definitely a "unique" way of mounting and wiring an external solar system.  I should have checked the other side of the RV to see what was there, but it was gone after I completed the dental appointment that brought me to the parking lot.  I am now curious if the owner has a similar setup on the other side so they can park the RV so it faces the sun from either side.  I'm unsure as to what is connected to the wires leading to the roof (because there are also wires from the panels routed through the passenger side door window), but presumably more solar panels??  Crazy!   :o

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    The answer to “no room on the roof for solar”😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    DH and me boondock almost exclusively and have seen a few OMG and Frankenstein installations, and even a few wow that's brilliant applications. In Tucson, AZ last spring we saw one of the latter. A 40' skoolie rolled in with what looked like armored sides. Turns out that each side had a solid awning with solar panels attached. Once raised into position, the entire bus was shaded and powered by the approx 3,000 watts (3 k) mounted on the rigid awnings. They were able to power A/C during the day and electric heaters at night. It was impressive.

And I agree, it IS a pic of how NOT to mount a  solar installation, but the husband says it appears to be solely intended for early morning and late evening solar power generation.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    appears to be solely intended for early morning and late evening solar power generation.

I was thinking about the same thing.  Except: designed for the winter months when the sun is pretty low on the horizon all day!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    bubbazanettibubbazanetti Member Posts: 23
    If you rad about optimized solar panel alignment. You learn that the panel must be at 90* degrees to the sun. Mounting panels on your roof, is a waste of solar potential, unless you live in the sun belt. Moving portable panels, to align with the sun is most effective. 
    Kootenays, British Columbia
    2015 Little Guy T@b, TV - 07 Honda Ridgeline

"Good friends beware! the only life we knows Flies from us like an arrow from the bow, the Caravan of life is moving by, Quick! to your places in the passing show.” 
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Maybe they are working on a turntable that will rotate the RV and follow the sun as it tracks across the sky...?  I wonder if they map their trips to always go in an east/west direction to maximize exposure?  =)
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    bubbazanettibubbazanetti Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2022
      =)
    Kootenays, British Columbia
    2015 Little Guy T@b, TV - 07 Honda Ridgeline

"Good friends beware! the only life we knows Flies from us like an arrow from the bow, the Caravan of life is moving by, Quick! to your places in the passing show.”