Options

Water in Battery Storage Box

We have a 2022 TAB 320S - somehow water is getting into the plastic battery storage box. I have the battery provided by the dealer at purchase. This is the 2d time I emptied about 1 inch of water by taking the battery out of the box and removing the screw securing the box. There isn’t any water in the galvanized box just in the battery storage box. 

Any idea what’s going on?

I appreciate your time and expertise. 

Comments

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Could the water somehow be following your wires down into the box.  Are the wires looped to drain before they go into the battery box?  

Also the battery box should have a cover, is there one?

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Playa_Bonita_30APlaya_Bonita_30A Member Posts: 22
    @kottum

we have the cover on and the wires looped as well - very strange how water is getting in 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 377
    We have a 2022 TAB 320S - somehow water is getting into the plastic battery storage box. I have the battery provided by the dealer at purchase. This is the 2d time I emptied about 1 inch of water by taking the battery out of the box and removing the screw securing the box. There isn’t any water in the galvanized box just in the battery storage box. 

Hi,  I don't have an answer..but I was working on my 2021 320 last week and had the same observation.  I had a bunch of water in my battery box (with cover) while the metal tub was dry.  My battery box cover and  box has no openings (even any previously sealed) and the wires loop under the cover into the box.  I do have hold down straps for the cover, but had  them off for a while (still with the cover on).   I also found it very strange.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    We have a 2017 320 S and had the battery box fill with water several times before we figured out what was going on with it. When it rains, the water follows the front curvature down. We have the plastic propane/battery cover, not the aluminum cover and the back is open. Water entered there and washed over the battery box cover. Our battery box had what looked like razor cut vents in the top lid, presumably for ventilation. We found them on our 3rd or 4th inspection of the box and lid quite by accident. I had held the battery box lid up to shield my eyes from bright sun and could then see the tiny slits. As the water came into the propane/battery cover and washed over the battery box, some water intrusion was happening. You might check that. I'm not sure how much your aluminum box has changed the dynamics, but it was our reason for water intrusion into the battery box. At least it might point you in a direction.
    Good luck and much success to you!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I drilled 1/4 holes in bottom of plastic box so water could get back out. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Ouch!  One of the functions of a battery box when used with regular lead acid batteries is to contain any acid that might leak out of the battery.  Drilling holes in its bottom defeats this feature.  If you are using AGMs or Lithium then no issue.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    AGM'S  I should have mentioned that also, thanks ART
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge