Options

Fridge insulation falling on cooling fins.

pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
Replaced my 2017 Norcold 3163 Gas Thermostat valve this afternoon.  Still checking to see if this will solve the fridge temp staying only 30 degrees below ambient temperature.
But, when I got the stovetop off, I noted this chunk of insulation laying on top of the cooling fins over on the main workings of the fridge on the left side.  I found the threads about the insulation becoming "unglued" from the "other" side of the fridge blocking the outside vents.
Is this the same issue?  Glued insulation coming loose?  I have no idea how long the insulation has been like this, since I've never had the stove off to have such a good look. 
I know the fins are not supposed to be blocked, and now I wonder if this was the issue with the fridge not holding temperature all along.
Should I: try to reglue this back to the top of the fridge compartment?  Pull it out and toss it?  Or, was it installed on the side of the fridge to insulate the compartment below the sink?

(Note: I moved this around a little before I really thought about this: it definitely was covering parts of the fridge fins before I moved it.)

PS: I just pulled it out of there.  Even with the fridge only back on for a half hour, it was already warmer than I was comfortable with.

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 447
    I'm pretty sure it goes on the side, there is a lot of heat there from the condenser and the exhaust pipe. At least that's where I Gorilla-taped the insulation in my trailer to.  It's not very effective but I appreciate a little bit of warm water at the sink faucet even though the Alde is typically turned off.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited January 2023
    FWIW, here's a similar view from mine. You can see the insulation is more under the vent tubes and behind the fridge, so not in contact with the fins or blocking airflow up the side and over the top. I don't recall moving or otherwise relocating that batt, so I assume it is in the original position.
    I'm not real clear what purpose that insulation serves in the first place. My best guess might be to prevent air running up the fins from blowing around onto the flame box in the back of the unit.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    @ScottG thanks very much for the photo, that is the puzzle part I needed.   I'm hoping the new thermostat will help the fridge hold a stable temperature, but I'll have to wait until the temps warm up here a bit.  I can't imagine the insulation covering up the fins was helping, either.
    When you put your stovetop back into position, what did you use to recaulk the edges of the stove and countertop?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    @pthomas745, my stove was never caulked originally, so I didn't bother doing so when I put it back. Knock on wood but not having it caulked has never been a problem, and it makes removal and replacement a whole lot easier.
    2015 T@B S