Options

Hot, Hot, Hot - I'm Crying Uncle

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
After two weeks in the boonies trying to shoot stuff in 90-101 degree weather with absolutely no breeze (even at night), I fled. A tank of gas and a few hours got me into a Forest Service site with shade and just a little cooler temp. Temps are suppose to moderate some come Monday.

How in the world do you people down south camp? Do you just run the air and stay inside?

I'm a northerner and we just don't camp in the winter - well, a few crazies do but not many - but it appears you southerners do - I find that unbelievable. Crazy even :-)

Told my brothers not to expect to see me next year in July/August (maybe Sept) - Looks like the NW coast tends to be moderate. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    After two weeks in the boonies trying to shoot stuff in 90-101 degree weather with absolutely no breeze (even at night), I fled. A tank of gas and a few hours got me into a Forest Service site with shade and just a little cooler temp. Temps are suppose to moderate some come Monday.

How in the world do you people down south camp? Do you just run the air and stay inside?

I'm a northerner and we just don't camp in the winter - well, a few crazies do but not many - but it appears you southerners do - I find that unbelievable. Crazy even :-)

Told my brothers not to expect to see me next year in July/August (maybe Sept) - Looks like the NW coast tends to be moderate. Any other suggestions?
    I hear you. And if it's humid, everything just feels damp. Not sure where you are, but 2 things can help. Higher elevations or being close to one of the great lakes. I find Erie and Cleveland are almost always more moderate than Pittsburgh. Sometimes it is worth it to fork over the cash to be able to plug in and run the a/c.

I do empathize. I am doing a family photo shoot and senior pictures this weekend and it will be up around 90. Nothing like lugging around a big heavy piece of glass in that heat.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Well, I've got the generator so I can haul that out (and did) to get air but I don't want to sit inside all the time. Thought about going up to the north shore (Superior) when I was back in mMN for a reunion but it was hot up there at that point.
    Looking for a nice two month area to hang for those two months and the WA, OR coasts are looking pretty tempting.

Good luck with the shoot - I feel for ya.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Well, I've got the generator so I can haul that out (and did) to get air but I don't want to sit inside all the time. Thought about going up to the north shore (Superior) when I was back in mMN for a reunion but it was hot up there at that point.
    Looking for a nice two month area to hang for those two months and the WA, OR coasts are looking pretty tempting.

Good luck with the shoot - I feel for ya.
    Actually, upstate NY is really nice during Aug or Sept, as is NE. The Finger Lakes is already moving into cooler evenings.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Caming in GA is pretty much a whole-year affair - we just don't go to the same places during the whole year! During the summer, we stick with the higher elevations in the mountains of North Georgia. We rejoice being able to sleep with windows open, no A/C on those precious weekends while Atlanta is sweltering in high 90ies!  During the spring and fall, you can go and be comfortable pretty much wherever you wish since climate is pleasant everywhere, but we have different seasonal destinations even then ( March = Cherry Blossom festival in Macon, April = azaleas in Pine Mountain, fall foliage at different times in different parts of the state). Late fall can still be very pleasant in Southern Ga and on the Golden Isles. Out of an abundance of precaution, we usually don't take Tabby out Dec-Feb when suprise frozen precip is more likely to occur.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    The areas I was in aren't noted for being that hot and usually have a breeze. Anomaly or not, I'm finding somewhere that is known for consistent, moderate temps. Enjoyed 75-78 day, 58-62 temps down SW this winter, looking for the same for summer.
  • Options
    Actually, anywhere in the mountains would be pretty awesome right now. What you describe is about what I got in Almont, but it was slightly cooler at night. I needed a jacket for sunrise shoots.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    NW indeed...from Sonoma to Portland...temps in the 60's on the coast and great camping!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Well, compared to tent camping in triple digits with lows in the upper 80s (it was 113° in PHX today) our T@b is what makes summer camping even possible. Remember how delighted I was to retreat to the cool AC for a siesta back my first trip in May? I had been tent camping two weeks earlier and was miserable.

We retreat in the hot daytime and come out in the evening. Or do as we did this week and drove up to 6k elevation in the pine forest. That's also why the fridge fan fix was a big deal for us. Anything that adds heat is intolerable. So yeah. Don't go out in the hot sun. Low humidity makes shade more effective. And yeah. Sometimes it just is too hot. I have no idea what they did 100 years ago.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    DurangoTaB - That be da area - The WheelingIt folks have been hanging up there - Guess you can get a Lighthouse tenders job too.

bgualtieri - yep, those pioneers were something else. Don't know how they survived. Was in Death Valley and there is an old borax factory - can you imagine boiling borax in the middle of the summer in Death Valley. We've obviously turned into a bunch of wimps.
  • Options
    The NW sounds nice, unless, "the big one" strikes :o : http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

• Options
    Well, if Yellowstone blows, we're all goners - Then there's that big crack somewhere under Missouri (?) - There's got to be something in PA ready to spu disaster :-)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I'm in the bay area and for us it is hot (it's been getting up to 80 in the day).  In general, north of here along the coast the weather is mid 70's in day and down into the high 50's.  Come on out.
  • Options
    mash2 - "up to 80" are the operative words - it's the going over that I'm looking to avoid so from you going north fits the bill.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Yeah, it's hot for us but since I'm originally from Ohio, I know exactly what that heat feels like.  (actually in from the coast it is extremely hot here as well).  Makes me remember why I moved out here 35 years ago.  If you get down as far as San Francisco, let me know.  I could take a bit of time to show you around the coast north of San Francisco -- still my favorite place.  I've got a house up on the coast in the redwoods that has space for a T@B to take a break.
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
    Gonna be hot up here in Ontario this weekend.  Humidex readings into the high 30's.  I think that is around 100 degrees.
  • Options
    mash2 - Over the years I actually spent quite a bit of time in SF - some north but not much - other than a trip through for a couple of meetings last April I haven't been there for quite some time. One of my favorite cities but seems to have gotten even more crowded. When I was there last spring I left the T@B down at a county park up the hill from Pescadero - Didn't dare bring it into the city. 
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
     In southeast Texas in the summer we go to the water, the beach and it's breezes or to the lakes (and we have a lot of lakes and rivers) we don't do a lot of hiking or other physical thing unless they are on or in the water. 

Now Texas is a big state and we have everything from arid desert type areas to the hill country in central Texas to piney wood of east Texas to the Gulf coast, We even combine a few in the Big Ben area with some mountains, but we do have one thing in common "Hot" Summers and you learn to live or you don't last long here. 
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Well, if Yellowstone blows, we're all goners - Then there's that big crack somewhere under Missouri (?) - There's got to be something in PA ready to spu disaster :-)
    We had 3 Mile Island :s

Actually , the closes to disaster, in my life, was being in downtown Pittsburgh on 9/11 and knowing that Flight 93 was in our airspace and not responding to air traffic control. I squeezed onto a packed light rail car and headed home. Thankfully, Pittsburgh was not the target, and the passengers of Flight 93 made sure that no one on the ground was injured by that flight. However, at that moment, the number of hijacked planes and their targets were both unknown. The area where Flight 93 came down was a rather unremarkable sight, so I am glad they have built a nice memorial to commemorate what happened there and to honor the final resting place of the people on board.

• Options
    Having a very pleasant morning - Nice breeze so it feels cooler but suppose to get hot again today. Cooler weather for the next week. I may just survive. :-)
    Other than being up way too early - this campground is mostly tenters and they were all up with the sun clanking cast iron. So many tenters surprises me as all the sites are nice, fairly large drive thrus. 50 sites and only 8 campers last night and it was probably 80% full.
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Today raining in Seattle.  We have had the most beautiful summer, set the record for most days over 90 degrees since 1958, new record 10 days.  I'm not too worried about the Big one, though the last one (2001 Nisqually 6.8) was a little unnerving especially working on the 40th floor downtown.  Those buildings sway ... ALOT!  thought I was a goner.  When I get my little T@B next month I'll head to the islands to beat the heat.   Our other natural disaster in my life time...Mt. St Helens.  I was in Moses Lake, WA showing horses and by the end of the day we had an amazing 6+ inches of ash jumping the curbs, at noon it was erily dark outside, totally silent, no birds chirping when the ash started falling.

Debbie , Seattle, WA   eargerly awaiting my new T@B's arrival.  
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    Visited Mt St Helens a number of years ago and there's no video or pics that accurately portrays the devestation. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Visited Mt St Helens a number of years ago and there's no video or pics that accurately portrays the devestation. Unbelievable.
    Would lake to see that someday.

• Options
    Jenn - It was absolutely unbelievable devastation. Trees laying on the ground in every direction, looked like you spilled a box of toothpicks. The mountain a moonscape.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I try very hard not to retreat inside during the day even when it's really hot. Just sit in the recliner outside and run a fan. There has only been one camping trip where we just had to take a mid afternoon siesta in the air conditioning. It was at least 95 or hotter and the campground we were at had just recently opened back up after the April 2011 tornadoes. All the beautiful trees from that campground were gone :(
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    At Tearstock, I found two advantages of an outside fan. It helped with the heat and humidity. And it kept the Mosquitos away. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited August 2015
    In the southwest where the humidity is low, I use this portable misting fan. I have been able to stay outside in 105 + degree weather without any problems.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    99 again today but a good breeze. Suppose to break tomorrow and be in the high 70s/day, high 50s/night ... PERFECT
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    ....We think we're looking at a warmer and wetter winter than usual. We still may not make up what we've lost, but we sure need the rain!

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    PXLated said:

bgualtieri - yep, those pioneers were something else. Don't know how they survived. Was in Death Valley and there is an old borax factory - can you imagine boiling borax in the middle of the summer in Death Valley. We've obviously turned into a bunch of wimps.

Back in those days, they croaked from heat stroke, and at a much higher % than we (USA) do today! I've been in unbearable, hot climates. I didn't have a choice. Lousy assignments! UGH!

So.... put the A/C on high and call me a wimp.

Any T@B's in Iceland?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    In my younger days....yeah, another ole geezer story.... I climbed telephone poles. This was before bucket trucks were many and before 28' fiberglass ladders were on every truck.

In 1978, a tornado went through the south side and southeast side of town. I remember that every day for three weeks until we had everyone back in service, I was taking a 6-pack of Coca Colas, 1/2 gallon jug of lemonade and a half gallon of water every day and drinking every bit of it. We were working from sun up to sundown in 90*+ and 80% and higher humidity. I was in my 20's, loosing 5 to 8 lbs a day in sweat and life was good. It was hot, but I was OK. 

It took me all day to trim and cut my grass Friday in 90*, high humidity.  I've found I'm no longer in my 20's and I work until I get too hot, go sit inside, drink a bottle of water and then head back outside. If it 's too hot, there 's always tomorrow ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”