Options

Smart Shunt Settings New AGM Battery

I just installed a new Renogy 200ah AGM battery in my 2018 t@b 400. I'm looking for help with the correct settings for my smart shunt. These are the settings I'm looking for:
Thanks!
2018 T@B 400

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I'll let others discuss the other numbers, but the easy one is the "Charged Voltage".  On the 200ah Renogy AGM battery spec page, the "Float Charge Voltage" says between 13.6 to 13.8.  This is where the charger would recognize the battery is "fully charged".

There are lots of discussions on the various other settings.  No matter what, the basics here can work very well for you to start out.  Here is one such discussion.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    If you are still not using solar, then Dutch61s suggestions from the above attached thread still apply……

“I would use a lower tail current setting, mine is set to .5% but I have Solar. 
    I would raise the Charged detection time to 5 minutes
    With an AGM Battery, you could go higher on the Discharge floor; as high as 80%
    I would set the Low voltage alarm to 11.8
    I would also consider setting the Charged voltage to 13.6

There is a calculator available for peukert effect

All of this is to prevent you from false synchronizations and resetting to Zero Amps. Depending on how you use your camper would determine actual settings.

Example, if you use full connections 100% of the time, none of this really matters but if you boondock it becomes much more important.

Brad”

The efficiency factor for a new battery is fine at 95%, but you will need to gradually lower that as the battery ages.

I could not locate the Peukert factor on the spec sheet - contact Renogy.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    I reviewed that older thread, but I thought with a brand new battery some things might need to be different. I contacted Renogy and they were very little help. When I provided them the settings they didn't seem to know what to do with them. This is Renogy's email response:
    Obviously incorrect.
    2018 T@B 400