Options

Vendor recall for some 2023 Nucamp stove tops.

pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,686
Yesterday, an owner on one of the FB pages pointed out there is a general recall for a particular model of stovetop in the 2023 models.
This is a basic summary:

Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers, LLC. (Pleasant Valley) is recalling certain 2023 Teardrop TAB 320s and TAB 320CSS travel trailers, equipped with certain SDS2 2-Burner Drop-in Cooktops with part numbers 3031AST and 3032AST. The internal aluminum burner tubes that connect to the gas valves may fracture and cause a gas leak.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the cooktop, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed in February 2023. Owners may contact Pleasant Valley customer service at 1-330-852-4811 ext. Pleasant Valley’s number for this recall is 23E-002.

The mods here talked to NuCamp yesterday and they will be sending letters to any affected owners.

Here is a link to one page that had a good rundown. 

https://oemdtc.com/12942/cooktop-gas-valves-may-fracture-causing-gas-leak-2023-pleasant-valley-teardrop-tab-320s-tab-320css-travel-trailers

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    ImNotThereYetImNotThereYet Member Posts: 34
    Yikes! I will look into this. I do know our igniter on one burner has never worked since we bought it, so maybe we might get this stove replaced? I will check it out today to see if we have that model number. Forgot to post this yesterday, I did call NuCamp and we are in the recall! They told us to disconnect the gas line and not to use the stove until it’s fixed! I called our dealer and they have not returned my call after leaving 2 messages today.
    (D & H RV Center) I’m not surprised we had a hard time reaching them when we purchased our TAB. Not looking forward to dealing with them on this. Has anyone else got their notice? We got our letter today from NuCamp.
    2023 TAB 320 Boondock towing with a 2006 Highlander-www.donjohnsmusic.com
  • Options
    MattandMaryMattandMary Member Posts: 1
    We received the recall letter from NuCamp for our stove. The letter said we could contact our dealer (400 miles away) or Suburban (the stove top manufacturer). I called Suburban today. They said they are still working on the fix. They took my info and said they would contact me once a fix is confirmed. 
  • Options
    Beachcomber72Beachcomber72 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2023
    We’re supposed to be purchasing a new 2023 t@b 320s boondock on Friday. Our unit supposedly has the recalled unit in it. Should we not purchase it? I hate to be spending $30k on a trailer we can’t immediately go camping in as we are wanting to go way off grid to explore yet be able to cook our meals. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Would be curious to know what you have found out about the recall. 1st NuCamp is doing their best to resolve this, but it seems like everyone else was caught flat footed. I called Suburban and they had not yet come up with a fix, said they were working on getting a fix. When I explained I’m looking at a letter that says it’s a “two hour fix” they again said they were working on a fix. They did offer us more options than having to take it to our dealer (D and H RV) which called me yesterday saying “it was not a big deal.” Even if we had the parts it would be into late March, April before we could look into it. “
    Spoke with NuCamp again and they said they were OK with me taking to where ever Suburban gave authorization for the repair. NuCamp was hoping in 1 to 2 weeks on getting this resolved. And they also said, under no circumstances should you be using this stove!
    Has anyone else heard anything different?

As soon as we get notice on our fix I will post. I also told NuCamp, since the stove is an issue, our 1st night in the TAB one of our burners would not ignite with the striker, the other one worked fine. We have to light the other burner with a lighter or match. We agreed it was not worth driving 6 hours to our dealer, to have that fixed, but I did ask since we are dealing with this recall, was there the possibility of replacing that stove or at least fixing this issue as well? He assured me that we would be taken care of.

Great customer experience and I thanked him for following up. I appreciate that. It’s hard to find these days!

More to come as I get more info!

• Options
    I think I’d call NuCamp, confirm your vin number has been replaced. I would trust NuCamp, but not a dealer telling you it’s been replace especially when no one else has had theirs replaced. That doesn’t make any sense to me.
    New camp will confirm by VIN number. I would not hesitate to purchase, just don’t take possession until it’s fixed. We have been cooking outside with a portable stove anyway, it heats up really quick inside. In my humble opinion you can not beat the quality of this trailer, but follow your gut. 

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    I think I'd find another dealer to have this repair done. This problem is a big deal if the stove literally blows up in your face when you try to light it. This is the second recall for the Suburban stove, same issue. 

Owners of Escape trailers (fiberglass trailers made in Canada) reported this problem a couple years ago! A number of people (as reported in their forum) had their stoves blow up in their faces, causing burns and singed facial hair. They rallied to get people to report to the NHTSA because neither Escape nor Suburban acknowledged the problem. Escape is now using Dometic stoves. It would seem the replacement Suburban stoves from the first recall are also problematic based on the new recall.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Doing more research and this is getting crazy! Saw that this is not the first time Suburban is having issues with their stoves. Which leads me to question why they have not come up with a solution. The solution is replacing the stove! They have known about this for almost two years now. Just watched a Youtube video on this from another manufacturer. (Escape) I’m beginning to agree with Debbie in Oregon that we should be getting a different brand. Like I said, we have not been using our stove, but at some point it would be nice to use it and know it’s safe. I will let everyone know as soon as I get any more info.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    I believe the current SDS2 version is the "fixed" version from the first recall. 

nuCamp used to use the Dometic and I wonder why they switched to Suburban? I think it would be nice if their solution to this recall was to replace the Suburban with the Dometic.

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5