Options

Tongue wt if a standard TAB 2018 400.

JetmanJetman Member Posts: 45
Just bought a used 2018 400 and trying to get comfortable with what’s needed to tow it with.
have a 2010 Ram Dakota crew cab with 4.7 V8, (5500lbs tow cap) Cannot find out the tongue wt and don’t know if need a wt distribution hitch or a sway bar ??, Have not been to scales yet to get weights.

towed it back from TN to SC and had no problems with just my current hitch system on Interstate 26, but trailer was empty?

Getting ready for test run down I95 with 600 to 800 lbs in trailer and another 400 lbs in back of truck and want to be sure and safe.

Comments

• Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    Found this at: https://www.cars.com/research/dodge-dakota-2010/specs/

This was for a V6 engine. Your V8 might be more. It also had most of the weights such as GVWR, GCWR, etc. It's my understanding that trucks have a decal somewhere with all this info on it.

Trailering
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 465 lbs
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 4650 lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 698 lbs
    Maximum Trailering Capacity N/A lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 4650 lbs
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • Options
    Thank you , I guess I need to find a scale to really find the young wt to make sure not overloading the hitch. There are all kinds of numbers out there fie the hitch wt.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    I have a 2019 400 that has the same relatively high tongue weight as the 2018.  I measured my tongue weight at 420 lbs with a 2/3 full water tank, empty black/grey tanks, full propane tank, and the trailer otherwise full of gear, including awnings on the rear bed.

I would find out what your truck is rated for as this can be different depending on the options installed.

With our Highlander tow vehicle I find the trailer very stable sway-wise.  You probably have a longer wheelbase on the Ram that will make sway stability even better.  I think the high tongue weight helps this.  I'm going to a WDH this year so I can drive at night and not blind on-coming traffic with my headlights (lots of sag on the Highlander), and my manual says "sway control" is required when towing over 2000 lbs. (My WDH has sway control.)  Without those two issues, I would not bother with a WDH on my Highlander.  I would see what your manual says so you can CYA if you get in an accident...
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Our 2018 TaB rounded weight with /2 tank of water and empty propane tank is 400 lbs as measured by our trailer service center.  So this is an accurate weight.
    My loaded tongue weight is around 400 lbs, with 3/4 full water, and empty holding tanks, and our camping gear for 3-days.  I load heavy items low over or behind the axle, and bedding and kitchen cleaning gear (in lower rounded locker) and under dinette seat locker, forward of axle.  This keeps the trailer balanced.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks Denny16, as I was seeing weights at 385 to 485. Do you use a distribution hitch or sway bar? I have talked to several 400 owners that use either.

you use water tank to help balance the load, 15/16 gal at 6 lbs per is avg 100 lbs ?

I just don’t want to put undue wt on hitch!
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    A US gallon of water is just under 8.5 pounds.
  • Options
    Yes sorry was thinking gas/ kerosene 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2023
    @Jetman I do not use a sway bar, I not found I need one, the TaB400 tows quite nicely behind the Jeep Gladiator.  The one time I did get a bit of sway, when towing with only a 1/3 tanks of water, using the brake controller over-ride button to activate the trailer brake for a second or so, solved the issue. 

Since then I found towing with a full or at least 3/4 full tank prevents any significant slouching around of water in the tank.  The water tank is centered on the axle, so water weight only increases the trailer payload, no significant weight added to the tongue.  Also when the water tank has water in it, it lowers the center of gravity of the trailer, increasing its stability.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    That is good news, was worried about heavy tongue and causing rear ended sag with tow vehicle.

thanks again