Options

New S Wet Bath Maxx Bugs

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
edited October 2014 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
Just picked up our new baby... 1. It's 40deg outside, T@B is hooked to house 110V, turned on the heater (heat + water) to high, and after 2 hours it's only warmed up inside from 55 to 59. Hot water works, and black hoses under the bench are warm. Is this normal? 2. The water pump (behind the toilet/shower wall) is REALLY noisy. Plenty of water in the fresh water tank. Normal? I'd ask the dealer, but they're closed until Tuesday...I may call LG tomorrow. Thanks again for all your comments, contributions, and commeraderie!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    edited June 2014
    Is your house water hooked up as well? As far as the Alde... it's a neat system challenged by the size limits of the T@b. It will not blast heat, but instead develops a milder heat over time. It may also be hampered by the bench vents and vent in back being blocked. They are radiators, and not blowers, which may have an impact. Think of it as more of a "maintenance comfort" system rather than a rapid heat system. Many here use a portable heater to "get the party started" (some use it all the time). The water pump is noisy in mine, as well.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Thanks XPADREX...I've lived with radiant, HW radiator, and steam radiator heat, so I'm familiar with the setup (I'm a retired engineer). I see that LG boxes in their radiators under the seat, different that the suggested vent-behind-the-back-cushion flow diagram from Alde. So as you say, it's a slow way to take the edge off, and if we want a quick warmup in the morning, plug in a small ceramic heater. Since gas usually works hotter/faster than electric...do you have better/faster luck if the Alde is set to "flame" vs. "O" (battery/shore)? We don't have a hose hooked up for water, but I may try that later to see what difference it makes. Thanks again!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    I haven't tried the LP yet, only the shore power. You'll have to be the guinea pig and report back!

I plan in installing a small fan near the outlet that is at the bottom of the rear bench, to force the warm air underneath out towards the front when the S is in bed mode... ...and I will be tinkering with a couple of other idea to make it work a little better this summer in prep for the fall.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Unfortunately I cannot help you with the ins and outs of the Alde system, but I can tell you that the water pump is noisy when running, but it should only be running when drawing water to pressurize the system, then it should shut off.  If it does not shut off after a minute or two you may have a leak in the system.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks Nathan & Becky...yes, it only shakes, rattles, and rolls when it's pumping (toilet, sink, shower). Sounds like it's always cavitating (air on the inlet side), or there's some bad mounting on the "pipes". I would think a simple centrifugal pump shouldn't make that much racket...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I think the nature of the water pump is to make noise -- even my friend's 27' travel trailer makes noise when pumping.  My T@B does that, too, but I only use the pump if I am not connected to city water.  I don't think it has anything to do with the Alde system, but it is normal if you are just using the fresh water tank.    :-j
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    RebarRebar Member Posts: 29
    I am a newbie here, so this may be obvious to others...was news to me. I read somewhere, that the water pump is only needed when using the fresh water tank, and not when you are connected to a fresh water supply. I guess the pressure of the water supply charges your line pressure. Our water pump is not all that noisey. I can here it when it is on, but am able to have normal conversation in the camper when it is running. I hope that helps.
    2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"
  • Options
    hey rebar! How 'bout this weather?! Only light snow and cold down here in Durango...you are correct about only using the pump from the fresh water tank under the sink. I have a note into Ed Kaufmann (and may send him some audio/video to help make the point).

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Hello DurangoTaB...yep! 6 inches of snow by noon on Monday, and started melting off by 1PM. I love the weather here in Colorado! It is supposed to be nice here in Denver, so I plan to flush out the antifreeze from the fresh water lines. Does anyone know of any instructions on which valves are on, which are off, etc? I have a 2014 T@B Q with Maxx (alde and the rest).
    2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"
  • Options

Rebar -- If you mean the water hoses going to/from the Alde, the T-stem valves should be "in line" with the water lines to be open.  If the T-stem is horizontal, the line is closed.

Here is what I did and this process worked for me.  I first flushed the antifreeze from my fresh water tank. Fill the tank almost full (it holds 5 gallons) utilizing the fresh water access port outside your T@B.  Slowly open your cold water faucet and turn on your water pump.  The pump will force water through the lines.  Run the water until it is clear.  Next, turn on your hot water faucet and repeat the process.  I also sanitized my fresh water tank using approx. 1 cup of bleach to a full 5 gallon tank of water. Let it sit for about an hour. You will need to repeat the draining process.  By now your grey water tank will have 10 gallons in it, and you might want to dump it.

Next, hook up your city water hose.  Make sure your T-stem valves are in line (open) with the water hoses.  Turn on your city water at the city water connection. (I also use a water pressure regulator).  Keep the water turn on and let the water circulate through your water lines for a few minutes. Repeat the draining process, turning on one faucet at a time (I also did the bathroom sink faucets.)  You do not need to turn on the water pump switch this time.  The pressure from the city water will fill the water lines.

Ed Kaufman instructed me to do it this way.  I didn't ask why, but in thinking through all of this, there are two separate water systems; the fresh water system and the city water system.  The draining and flushing using the city water will also drain the lines that are associated with the Alde.  He did tell me that the black drain under the left rear (driver's side) of the T@B can be used to rapidly drain any antifreeze that has been pumped into the system, but you should still flush the lines.

So, there you go.  This whole process took me several hours.  It was my first time doing it, so I hope the next time I am able to do it faster.  Take your time and think through the process as you are doing it. 

• Options
    BTW...I talked to Ed yesterday and he confirmed there have been some problems with the water pumps being noisy. So's he's sending a replacement. We'll also be careful about mounting, correct plumbing (e.g. soft hose connection, watter hammer, air/cavitation, etc). Will update when it's replaced!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Beth, AWESOME job on the instructions! I will give it a try this weekend. Many thanks!
  • Options
    I'm wondering how the pump worked out. I am literally standing outside of our t@b S M@xx. This is the first time outside of winterization We used the sink and pump in a camp setting. My wife is rnsing dishes, the racket was like a woodpecker on speed, when next think I know we have water leaking out of the freshwater drain tube (which is closed), and from beneath the t@b. I'm doing recon on the sink now.
  • Options
    I have a working amateur theory from my campsite... I think the water pump may be way overkill for the system, and over pressurising it.
  • Options
    I will call tonorrow. It's leaking at the freshwater petcock, from another drain tube, and from somewhere over the blackwater drain all when using the kitchen sink.
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    Admittedly I don't know a lot about this, but... Are you hooked up to water at the campground? If so, you shouldn't be turning on the pump.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am glad to have found this as I am making my first stop at an RV resort tonight. What does, "Make sure your T-stem valves are in line (open) with the water hoses.." mean? What is the T-stem valve?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

Jenn -- My S model has the Alde, and there are little white plastic open and close levers, commonly referred to as T-stem valves. Look under the back seat on the floor to find the water hoses and levers. I know there are at least two of them -- maybe three??Make sure those little levers are "in line" with the hoses to allow water to flow into the lines.  If you turn the lever so that it's horizontal to the line, it shuts off the water flow. 

Xpadrex, I'm not sure what could be happening with your water pump.  My dealer told me that once the system is pressurized, the water pump should shut off.  Maybe your grey water tank is full and the water has to come out somewhere???

:(
  • Options

Thanks, Beth!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The pump does shut off, but I think it may be possible for the pressure required to shut the pump off to be high enough prior to stopping to expose any flaws in the system. The drip from the fresh drain stopped once the pressure dropped.

No worries... it'll get figured out.

Paula: I am not hooked up to city water. I thought about it, as this is the first camp I've been to that offered the option... ...but then I figured that filling the tank alone and testing it was more in line with oir typical camping realities.
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
       My t@b heating system had the same problem as you.  Not heating up camper even after Several hours.  Mr. Hoffman suggested to my dealer to check the glycerol level of the closed Alde system.  The glycerol level was  low.   This tube for glycerol is under the back board that's screwed down at the rear of the trailer. Its used as a shelf by me, and looks like one. Again is screwed down at rear of bed.     Dealer didn't check level as others on his lot needed topping off after delivery also.    Heater has kicked out heat very well since.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    Are you talking about the shelf that is behind the back bench?

• Options
    Ms jkjenn, Yes that's the shelf.  Mind has a hole drilled in it for lifting up and out. Shelf is held in by screws 2x?.  The dealer did the leveling of glycerol so I did not see what it looks like inside after that shelf is removed.  But was told that's where a tube containing fluid is located.  Dealer stated it was a basic removal with complications.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    Without complications

• Options
    I took my screws out so I can lift it up and inspect the glycol level periodically.  Mine has the thumb hole drilled in it, too, for lifting.  It has no problem staying in place without the screws.  I use it for a shelf when I am camped.  It's definitely not meant for storing things in. 8-|