Options

Sewer hose storage and putting screws in the front of a 2023 Tab400

Hi all,

I'm considering adding a Valterra sewer hose storage tube ala @mjwaldner and @SoCalEsben (as shown here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11635/tab-400-2021-sewer-hose-storage) and I'm wondering about putting screws in the diamond plate skirt on the lower front of the trailer, primarily for holding the propane hose in place since it will need to be re-routed. Obviously it can be done -- the factory-installed propane brackets are screwed in -- but how deep before you run into trouble and are there any no-go zones?

Thanks for your help.   
— Richard R.
Front Range of Colorado
2023 TAB 400 Boondock
2022 GMC Canyon
2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)

Comments

• Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2023
    I was looking at doing the same thing, but ended up mounting just behind the front stablizers. Pretty easy and accessible install location. I share as an alternatve. Clean install, a bit less visible, and easy to access.

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    Thanks @KK1L. I've actually considered that and seeing it implemented makes me think that might be a better way to go. Certainly a much easier install. One thing I'd be concerned about is the abuse it's going to get being so exposed to junk bouncing up off the road (rocks, etc.). I'll have to look a little more closely at the possible mounting positions when I get home tonight. I may have questions for you...

— Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
  • Options
    SoCalEsbenSoCalEsben Member Posts: 42
    Hi @Richard_R,
    I ended up just using zip ties in the right places - not wanting to drill new holes. That seems to hold both hose storage and propane hose in place pretty well. I did remove some screws that were originally holding the hose. I didn't find the locations useful so I just ended up filling the holes with silicone.

I would send you some pictures, but I don't have my trailer near at this time.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    @KK1L That position seems perfect. How much further down does the hose hang than the stabilizers?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @KK1L: Did you use the self tapping screws that came with the tube? I don’t think they’re long enough to get much of a bite in the frame proper and I’m wondering if the metal strip running along the bottom of the frame is sufficient to hold the thing.
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    edited April 2023
    I have a 2022 BD 400 and I put the hose between the rear bottom of front storage tub and the T@B similar to the link in the original post (I didn't have to do any mod to the tub).  I used a 12" long 3/8" propane hose extension and a 90 degree fitting which allowed me to reroute the propane hose to fit around the carrier. For the carrier I used the extendable one from valterra, once I settled on the proper length I used pvc cement to solvent bond it to that length. The carrier fits snugly without having to screw into the tab.  It is tight, I can't remember whether I drilled another set of mounting holes for the tub.  Actually works great and it does not get into ground clearance issues or get exposed to debris.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Richard_R I pre-drilled and used the supplied screws. They definitely reached to the frame. In one case I was able to use and existing hole. The metal strip would be strong enough, but a moot point since the screws to easily reach the frame.

Time will tell what abuse the carrier takes. We are headed out on a 3+week loop down to roughly Raleigh, over to Memphis, up to Chicago, then back to Vermont later in the month. I can report when we return. No off road in the travel mix though. I am not expecting anything at all significant given the stablizers and spare tire more or less guard it.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @subkron It must be that each T@B storage tub and spare tire support placement are slightly different. It would not have taken much for me to be able to have placed the hose carrier where you did. The spare tire mechanism is the major interference.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @KK1L and @subkron: In my case, with the 2023 400, it would take a fair bit of work to mount the tube behind the storage box, primarily because of the support beam for the spare, as noted by @KK1L. The box would have to be moved forward 1-2", maybe more if I didn't want to cut a little bit out of the diamond plating on the back sides of the box. The work itself would be fairly trivial (i.e., not requiring a high skill level or any special tools), but a PITA nonetheless. I'll post some pictures later.   
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
  • Options
    @manyman297 I raised one of the stablizers to show you. Here are a  couple of pics. I tried to give a fair view of the exposure.

Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @KK1L I'm sure that vicious puppy won't let anything happen to the tube...   ;)
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    Here is another option that I just implemented.  Used hose clamps for the retainers.  I sure do love have the hoses and accessories handy!  
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    Thanks @jbajor -- that's a great solution. Unfortunately, that won't work on the 2023 400 BD because the braces for the storage platform are in the way (take a look at the second picture provided by @KK1L above).

The question I posed in the OP was whether it was safe to put screws into the diamond-plate apron on the front  of the trailer. I asked Jordon at nuCamp about this and this was his response (he's been really helpful and prompt in answering my sometimes inane questions):

"We can't recommend putting screws through the wall/roof for liability reasons, but I've attached a few pictures that may help you see what's in that area:"

BTW, if you do put screws in that apron, make sure they're aluminum since that's what it's made of. And you'll have to put something inert between the apron and the bracket or whatever you mount if it's made of steel.  
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
  • Options
    Ah yes, I see the braces now… what about the underside of the tongue strut? Looks to be clear and would give you an additional 1” of ground clearance?
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    @jbajor I wonder about how much the clearance is actually better.
    1. The hitch is a hinge point. As you get closer to it the height relative to the ground changes at a faster rate than closer to the wheels when on an undulating road, or driveway ramp, etc. In this situation I would might estimate my spare tire is lower than the tube. 
    2. If there is an obstacle in the center of the road my placement is somewhat more exposed. The underside of the 400 is not planar however. The underside at the axles is at the same level as the bottom of my sewer storage tube.
    I can see where you are concerned about the clearance. I checked out the Ultimate Toys Teardrop and it looks like it sits quite lower than the 400 Boondock. I would probably be concerned about an inch too.

Aesthetics matter as well. The T@Bs have some pretty sweet lines, and deliberate styling. I hate to mess that up (and there is a modifications approval commitee). I have the luxury of space below and the placement is not dangling low hanging fruit ripe for road damage.

All that said there are several choices to locate the storage. Your placement does a really nice job of being convenient and not at all creating exposure to damage. I kind of like the Howitzer/Bazooka look! You might consider an identical bad-a$$ install on the other side as well for symmetry. :):) 
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    LOL!!!!  My wife refers to it as the Rocket Launcher too!!!  I love the idea of getting some symmetry.  Perhaps loading it with the liquor bottles!  Your installation on the underside IS really quite outstanding!  No matter what, it is such a welcome addition to have the hoses handy and not squirlled away in TV or under bench and dripping...
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Thanks for all the great input. I ended up stuffing the tube between the spare tire support beam and the diamond-plate skirt on the front of the trailer once I realized that’s how @mjwaldner, @subkron, and @SoCalEsben did it (it was a doh! moment...). That seemed to be the best solution taking into account protection of the tube, convenience of getting to the tube’s contents, and ease of installation (at least compared to the ultra-complex scheme I originally dreamed up…). There are a few things worth mentioning for others who decide to go this route.

The biggest bugaboo was that because the ends of the valterra tube have a slightly larger diameter than the tube itself, the ends bowed out slightly, warping the cap receivers and making the caps frustratingly difficult to get off and especially to get back on. Solution: I cut the mounting “wings” off the extra brackets that came with the tube and stuffed them behind the tube about 15 or 16 inches inboard of the ends. These spacers worked perfectly to relieve the pressure from the ends and the caps now operate smoothly. I also cut the “wings” off the brackets on the ends of the tube, primarily for aesthetics, but it also made it easier to get the thing on and off its final resting place, which I ended up doing multiple times as it turns out (it was really difficult to get it into that tight space and to pull it back out -- I kept expecting something to break, but it never did).   

Second thing were the tabs on the ends of the spare tire support beam which compressed the tube at those points. This was not particularly a functional issue, merely aesthetic – I just didn’t like the way it looked. Solution # 1: I cut slots in the tube at each of those points to slip over the tabs and eliminate the point of compression. However, I then found that the sewer hose itself (actually two separate hoses) required a little wiggling around to get in or out of the tube due to the corner of the tab now protruding into the tube. Still functional, but unacceptable. Solution # 2: I trimmed a little bit of the tabs to reduce the amount of material protruding into the tube. Sewer hoses now slide in and out smoothly.

Last thing – a good thing – was that I didn’t need to do anything to the propane hose except reroute it slightly. Didn’t need an elbow connector or anything else. The hose on my trailer was long enough, and maybe the exact position of the regulator helped too. 

And the irony of all this, I suppose, is that I never needed to put any screws into the diamond-plate skirt which is the original thing for which I was seeking advice...

— Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
  • Options
    @Richard_R Wow...that worked out really nicely. Great job.
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    @Richard_R That is interesting, that is the same location I mounted mine as I described above. I found that I didn't need any hose clamps (or screws into the T@B), when I installed the front storage tub as it keeps the carrier confined.  Is there clearance when you re-installed the tub or does it capture the carrier as mine did?

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    @subkron The trailers frame will twist and flex when underway. You're probably fine, but I'd consider some kind of connection to the frame or diamond plate.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    @AnOldUR
    That is a good point but at rest the carrier is being compressed between the trailer and tub. A bend in either direction will either push the carrier either more downward to the frame or upwards, both which would still maintain compression. A twist may "free" up one end but further compress the other end.  That being said it is always good to keep an eye on it.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @subkron, my original plan was to mount it centered on top of the spare tire support, as shown below (looks like yours is a little off center). As you can see, the storage box would have had to be cut or moved. A lot. That purple line is the back panel of the box. Even if the tube was pushed up against the front of the trailer, some kind of box modification would have been required (I looked at that possibility too). There's a ton of clearance where I ended up mounting it, as shown in the second picture with the box now back in place, which is why I didn't have any issues with the propane hose. You can also see where I mounted the larger, much shorter tube to store the sewer hose elbow. Maybe there's a bit of variation from trailer to trailer in where the box (and propane regulator) ultimately end up.    

Regarding the thing working itself loose, I don't think that could happen in my case -- it's in there really tight -- although I suppose the spacers I added could potentially vibrate out of place. In any case, there was no harm in adding the hose clamps and I won't ever have to worry about it.

— Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon