Options

Where do you put everything?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
Its really not a problem yet, but I am finding as a new T@b owner, and new to the whole concept of RV camping, my "extras" are really adding up. My normally clean and sparsely filled garage is starting to fill up with the things I have bought related to my use of the T@b. I've bought several large plastic bins, one each for storage of the T@b cover, and the T@b tent. Then there is a bin for the wooden blocks to go under the stabilizer jacks and the main jack when in a campground, along with the leveling device and the rack to keep the sewer line elevated (so far I have found that the propane/battery case can also hold the compressed sewer hoses and "Y" connector). I also have a good size bin for the electrical line, the heavy duty extension line, the surge protector, and the potable water hose/filter/pressure regulator. Then there is the stepstool for when I can't use the trailer step (when the tent is set up), the large tarp to put under the tent, a folding table and two nice folding chairs for use in the tent, the traveling dog crate and miscellaneous stuff for the dog. Maybe I need to store much of this in the T@b itself when I am not camping! When I have gone on a trip with the T@b I pretty much fill up the Subaru Outback that I have, and might even start using the rooftop box for some of this stuff. I find myself thinking about how easy it would be to fit all of this stuff in the back of a pick-up truck when I travel, then I remind myself that the primary reason I bought a T@b was to avoid the need to buy a larger vehicle than my Outback as a tow vehicle. And now my good wife wants to pick up a good folding easel and another big bin for all of her painting gear so that once we are set up in a campground she can indulge her love of painting! Maybe the answer is to put a hitch on the back of the T@b and pull a luggage trailer behind the T@b and become a three vehicle caravan! At least then I would not even be thinking about backing up. I guess all of this is part of the fun of having a T@b and going RV'ing. 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Too Much Stuff - Plagues everyone wether in the T@B or your home. We all accumulate too much stuff :-)
    As you use the T@B more and more, you're going to get more efficient and find out what you need and what you don't. What's a must and what's not worth it. What packs well and what doesn't. After 10 months on the road I'm still reassessing and switching out. That's why those of us that have T@B traveled for awhile always recommend restraint :-)
    One thing I got rid of is hard-sided containers. Soft-sided packs better and crunch down. Hard-sided take up a fixed amount of space wether full or not. Duffle bags and such are your friend. Square items pack better and utilize space better than round. Etc, etc, etc :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The plastic leveling blocks take up a lot less room than wood--I found that out on my Silver Shadow.

I just use the tent and visor in their nylon bags--it sure takes up a lot less room than the tubs.

I have a love/hate affair with my BAL leveler. It comes in so handy, but it weighs so much and takes up so much room. If I put it in the fron of my truck bed, it takes too long to get to it. If I put it just inside my tailgate, it's in the way. I don't want to get used to it in the tub on the tongue because I need for my batteries to fit in there. Like I said, it's a love/hate affair. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    PXLated said:
    One thing I got rid of is hard-sided containers. Soft-sided packs better and crunch down. Hard-sided take up a fixed amount of space wether full or not. Duffle bags and such are your friend.
    One of the first things I bought for the T@B was two large, heavy-duty duffel bags.  I keep all my T@B related items in them (have since added a third :) ). I just toss them in the floor of the T@B and don't have to worry about if they'll fit or which one goes in first, etc.  When I finish setup, I toss them in the back of the truck or sometimes even in the cab.  You can make them fit almost anywhere.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    We're storing our T@B specific gear in the T@B.  Even at home, if the gear is for T@B camping, it stays in the designated spot in the trailer.  Of course, having spent several years in Scouting with our son, we have a lot of our camping gear already stored in our shed, so the general camping supplies have their home.

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Like PX and RZRBUG, I'm avoiding the hard side storage containers. I don't remember who, but someone recommended these that fit well in the cabinets under the front window of or CS:  http://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-70161-Flexible-Storage/dp/B001PAEUE6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407286882&sr=8-2&keywords=ziploc+totes+xl.  They are working well for me.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    Someone one mentioned waterproof duffels, I think they're made for canoeing or kayaking or rafting. They'd be excellent if you depend on an open pickup, like we do. Right now we use two giant gear boxes in the back of the truck, and as PXL sez, they aren't very efficient. 

I've also learned that our cooler isn't very water resistant in the back of the truck, at 60mph. Went through some heavy storms and found everything in the cooler ended up wet.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sandra - Yes and I roll them up as sets so all I have to do is grab a set and everything is there I need.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use packing cubes for clothes, but in general, have really cut down on my content. I bring less clothes and use a Scrubba wash bag and hand wash often. I have a giant North Face duffle that I have tied to my roof rack. It is bomb-proof. I have not used it with the T@b, however.

- Clothes, in cubes, under the rear passenger bench, also small vacuum cleaner 
    - Toiletries, hair dryer, guide books, and DVDs in the rear upper cabinets 
    - Visor, jack pads, broom, Lego blocks in side passenger bench
    - Remotes in valance,
    - Kitchenware in cabinet below sink, along with some food
    - Lighter, bags, other small stuff above galley. I might change some of this however and convert to food.
    - Extra dry food on shelf behind the rear seat
    - BAL leveler and sewer hose in propane cover, gloves, hose risers, and flush king also there
    - Water hose, sewer rinse hose, solar, tools, camp chair and chocks in very back of Jeep, tongue jack under rear bench seat in Jeep, along with flagpole

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Look handy - Let us know how they work, we know you're going to order them :-)
    And let us know the dimensions - Why doesn't LG ever put dimensions - Sheeeesh
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Look handy - Let us know how they work, we know you're going to order them :-)
    And let us know the dimensions - Why doesn't LG ever put dimensions - Sheeeesh
    They have been on my Amazon wish list for a year and a half and not purchased, yet, but you never know.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Two versions of the add-a-drawer -- deep and shallow (both available at teardrop).  The deep draw is 4 X 11.8 X 10.9   and the shallow is 2 X 11.8 X 10.  Jenn's picture is of the deep drawers.  

Not sure how everyone gets along without something like these.  I have an old DM without air and a two way frig....I ended up adding five drawers to my system to organize everything.  I have a tool drawer, electrical/battery drawer, silverware drawer, morning coffee/hot chocolate, and a miscellaneous drawer that I added to the standard cubbies for items.  If I had not had the space for these, I would have added a few of these drawers to organize all the small stuff.   
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have found spots for most of what you mentioned in the T@B. I had access doors cut to the rear underbench storage on both sides of the T@B. The drivers side door accesses my electrical cord and adapters. The passenger side door accesses my water hoses and leveler crank. I put a tube on the front of the camper frame for my sewer hose. My chocks and stabilizer pads go in the front bench just inside the door. My awning and visor simply go in their standard bags in the back of the truck. For my "normal" weekend setup, I have one rubbermaid bin with extension cords, tent stakes, string lights, bungie cords, etc.

I have plastic drawers all over the T@B, in the front closet, under the bed, in the kitchen cupboards. Clothes go in the drawers inside. My coax cable goes in the front upper cabinet.

I don't have an attached step, so my step goes right inside the door of the T@B when I travel. A small bin also rides on the floor with shoes, a pair of work gloves, and a head lamp. 

Chairs, tables, rugs, awnings, go in the back of the truck. My BAL is actually the last thing I load in the truck, and the first thing out. I simply pull it out of the truck first.

I was fortunate enough to be able to build a detached garage with 8' doors to store my T@B. I purchased a very heavy duty steel, 3-shelf rack and all my chairs and other T@B/tent camping stuff goes on those shelves.  I pull what I need off the rack and put it in the truck depending on what type of trip it is.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL