Options

TAB 320S Boondock Storage/ Clearance

We have a 2022 TAB 320S Boondock - and we're wondering if anyone has been able to lower one of these units enough to clear a 7' garage door opening.  We were thinking of removing the wheels/ rims, setting the hubs on wheel dollies so that the hub is just above the floor, and possibly removing the roof vent cover... we think it will be close but not sure.  Can anyone chime in on this?

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    That's what a friend of mine does, however with an original Dutchman T@b which sits lower than the current Boondock models. Even after removing the vent cover he still had to notch the garage door frame to get the fan motor past it. Based on the fact that the Boondock is taller I'd say it won't work.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Here’s your answer - 12 inch rims.  Follow @LARK lead here:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/1919/room-in-the-garage/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    The outside edge of the hubs are not the part designed to hold the weight. I would be concerned that removing the wheels and setting it down on the drums could cause the brake drums to warp.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    8711ejasmine8711ejasmine Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.  I saw in another post that someone built some “flint stone” wheels out of plywood.  I was thinking of going 2 ply on some 3/4” - and size slightly larger than the drum and match the 5 bolt pattern.  These are what would sit on the wheel jacks.  Just not sure what if that will lower the unit enough to squeeze under a 7’ opening?  Other things that might help… taking roof vent cover off?  Possibly there will be some deflection of the offset arm on the torsion axle due to its own self weight that might help?
  • Options
    8711ejasmine8711ejasmine Member Posts: 3
    Should have mentioned… we have the Boondock… so torsion axle is pitched 22.5 degrees down… adding 6” to the normal 90”.  So ‘catalogue’ height is 96”.  Thinking removing rims lowers around 9”.  Possibly removing roof vent cover, lowering front wheel, natural deflection of offset arm on the axle due to self weight might lose the extra inches needed?  Also - read that on some Dexter axles, the spindles can be removed from the torsion arm - and wondering if anyone ever does that?
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    The removable spindles are a somewhat pricey option and the T@bs don't come with them from the factory. I suppose you could take off the wheels, brake drums and brake backing plates to get pretty close.