Options

Cover for TAB 400 Boondock Trouble Putting on

We had a smaller TAB and cover and then got the TAB400 Boondock, and even with two of us and a ladder, we are having trouble putting this cover on.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem ?

Steve GM

Comments

• Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    For me, the key is a sturdy 8’ step ladder. 6 feet is not enough. I roll up a side and clamp it, front and back, then fold it on top of the roof. Same on other side. Then I fold my two already folded sides on the roof into one long segment, move it off the windows and roll it up, standing at the back. Deployment is easy, as long as you put the tail to the front, starting on the roof.
  • Options
    stevejgmstevejgm Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, I will try it.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    edited April 2023
    The "hot dog bun" method is one way.  Several tips and tricks with different tools to make the cover go on easier in each thread.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    I have the All Pro Adventures cover for my 400. Someone on a Facebook group showed a great way that worked real well for me. I did it with a 6' ladder and another person giving the rolled up cover a boost as it's a bit heavy for me to lift. 

Spread it out on the ground with inside of the cover (the side that will touch the trailer) facing the ground. I laid it out in the same direction as the trailer. Then roll up each side towards the center. Then roll up front and back towards the center and I overlapped the ends so it wouldn't all unroll as I picked up the cover. Then get it up on the top of the trailer. I used a pole to open the front and back rolls and help the front roll over the vents. They unrolled easily. Then the same for the side rolls. I was surprised how quickly and easily they unrolled, then adjust the cover to get it situated.

To take it off, I first pulled it up and over the storage bins and handles to it wouldn't catch. I then rolled up the passenger side up onto the roof then used the pole to push and lift it over the vents towards the drivers side. It quickly and easily slid right off! Took way longer to roll/fold it up for summer storage.

Good luck!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
  • Options
    My wife and I who are in our 70's and 5'7" and less went and combined the suggestions of both people who responded.

We turned the cover so that the outside was on the ground with the inside that touches the trailer was facing upward. We made sure that the door opening was near the trailer away from us. We then rolled the cover from the side farthest from the trailer to the center and then using four clamps, clamped the rolled side.

We did not need to roll the other side nor fold the front and back of the cover.

My wife went to the front of the trailer and on a 6 foot ladder I lifted the cover in the middle with the clamps and pushed it to the middle of the trailer as she lifted the front of the clamped cover.

Moving to the other side of the trailer I wanted to grab the middle of the rolled cover and bring it over. The 6 foot ladder was not high enough and I had to get on the top of the ladder with my wife holding the ladder. An 8 foot ladder would be more save. I grabbed the cover and took off one of the four clamps and rolled the cover over on the side opposite the door.

Then my wife and I had to make moves from middle to front and back to then get the cover to fit in a complete way while periodically removing the clamps. Eventually it all worked.

Thanks for your response. We combined the responses and found a way that really worked for us. 
    Getting the zippered door in the right place took a small amount of time, but we did get it then strapped the trailer from the bottom underneath the trailer. We used one of the small clamps on the end of the straps to get it from one side to the other.

Success.