Tips for putting on / taking off Pahaque T@B cover?

Our T@B cover - ordered 8 months ago with the trailer - Note to self: DON'T DO THAT - came today!

How do we get this thing on? Tips?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There is a thread on this somewhere, but I think @DurangoTaB recommended a long pole.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Photomom, I put ours on by myself, but it seemed like I was playing "cowboys and Indians" for as many times as I had to circle the trailer. One bright spot, mine has the zippered door, so, when I got done I had a place to sit! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Someone mentioned using a long handle broom under the cover to guide it into place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, I'll have to give that a try next time, never even thought about it.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

I have that planned....if it cools down a bit so I can wash and wax her. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Yep, 93 today, 96 in the T@B because the vent and windows are open and I have the window awnings on. Will attempt the cover when it cools down a bit.
    Hmm, looked in the garage and we have a roof rake with an 18' handle. That may work.
    Photomom said:
    Hmm, looked in the garage and we have a roof rake with an 18' handle. That may work.
    @Photomom, do you have any pipe insulation or a pool noodle to protect the handle... or actually to protect the finish from the handle? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Nope, but all the discount stores have pool noodles now. Thanks.
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    We have an Overdrive Poly-pro cover. I had to put ours on today due to recent nickle sized hail. I tied a rope onto a couple of of the securing clips and tossed it over the top of the T@B and pulled it over. I had to use a small step ladder because I'm only 5'3" but it worked pretty well. Slid right over the vent and fan cover.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,408
    I've only deployed the cover once, but I recall it was pretty easy with two people (one on each side)--flop it down in front of the trailer and pull it up and back over the top. It was reminiscent of putting the full coverage rain fly on my cabin style tent.

If I had to do it solo, I'd probably employ the Gnomies rope strategy rather than twiddle with yard implements. (That roof rake is nice for getting the winter snow off, though!) 
    2015 T@B S

• mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have ropes on the left side (front and back of the cover).  Throw the ropes over the T@B (front to back reversed for each cord) then just pull them.  Once the cover gets to the vent, I just grab from on the front and lift it over the vent (actually throw it in air as i pull towards me).   Not the greatest description... but should give you an idea.  (Don't use any pole to assist in my case).
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I do the same thing as mash2 --- but have struggled doing it solo. Helps to have a tall ladder to get it up on top to start. That cover is somewhat heavy (but well made).
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I do similar to Mash2....when I take the cover off, I roll/fold the cover onto the battery cover, when it's time to put it back on, I tie a rope around the Pahaque decal end, put the rolled/folded cover onto the battery box, then throw the rope over the top....walk to the rear, then pull the cover most of the way over, adjust the sides, and finish pulling all the way.  I can put it back on in less than 5 minutes now.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When I had a cover and was storing outside, I hooked the front secure points to the front stabilizers, then stood on the tongue and pulled/pushed the material over the vent, then pulled it down the back.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We did the same thing you did Photomom.  In the flurry of new owner fever, we purchased the cover too.  Then, since it was stored in an inside storage for the winter we had not used it.  In fact, yesterday was the first time.  With the help of a ladder and my wife, we didn't have too much problem  The cover is pricey, but I have to say it seems to be very well made.  Does anyone spray anything on the seams for waterproofing or spray on the fabric to protect it from sun damage?
    Our T@b:

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    There was another thread on this subject:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4241/putting-the-cover-on-by-yourself

And I posted this to it back in Feb 2017.  I've since put the cover on and off five or six times by myself, and it keeps getting easier.  If I'm careful taking the cover off, I don't have to do much prep:  just lift it up to the top of the Tab and let it roll.

I put my cover on my Outback this morning, by myself, in less than 5 minutes. This was my second attempt, and you can see my earlier comment in the thread.  I found this method to be much easier and faster than dragging it from front to back. 

Thanks to "Fergie" and "Lapowers57" in this thread.  They both had the same method, and gave me the inspiration to think this out.

I put a ladder, tall enough to see over the T@b,  near the door.  I had another ladder (not as tall) on the other side.

1.  Spread the cover on the driveway in an approximate rectangle,  right side up, with the PajaQue logo in the upper right corner. (Keep the position of the logo in your thoughts.)
    2.  Rolled both ends of the cover in towards the middle.  It looked like a hot dog bun.   
    3.  I picked up the roll with the "split" part of the bun on top, and climbed the ladder.  I made sure the "logo" part of the roll (the right side of the "bun"...keep the position of the logo always in mind)  went over the T@b first.  I got the roll across the top of the T@b, and over the fan cover as best I could.  I went around to the other ladder and arranged the roll over the vent cover.
    4.  Then I unrolled the cover towards the front and back.  Gravity did most of the work.  I had an old broom to push it over the Yakima rack, and to generally assist getting the cover to where I could reach it and pull it where it needed to be.

Once the cover is on top of the T@b and spreading out toward the front and back, you are pretty much done. As long as you get it up there with that logo in the right spot or the door opening close to where it will need to be, this is easy to do.

5 minutes, done.  No cursing, no crowds, no rage.  Unless you like that sort of thing!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi